how important is it to flood the keg with CO2 after filling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I have a used kegging system that I am using for the first time. I'm virtually 100% certain that the C02 tank is empty. Thus, I have kegged my beer, but I could not flood it with C02 afterwards.

Will this be a problem?

Is flooding it with CO2 after kegging necessary?

I am planning on letting it "keg-condition" for a couple of weeks before I carb it--bad idea?

CO2 purges the oxygen out of the keg and helps it to preserve better.

Chances are good that there is still some CO2 being produced in the keg if it is at room temp.

Burp the relief valve every 24 hours and that should be sufficient to push out the O2.

Get that CO2 tank fill and then give the keg a good balst to purge any remaining O2 and to seat the lid real good.

It is good practice to give the keg a shot of C02, and then vent it a bit. This drives out the 'air' in the keg which will help prevent your beer from oxidizing.

You should always do this even if you are letting your beer condition.

Having said that though, I recently had my regulator malfunction moments after I had filled two kegs. They sat for two weeks without having the air purged from them. I am drinking this beer now and have not been able to detect any problems. I do plan to drink it fast though as can shorten
the beers viable life span.

I have never purged a keg and my beers have always been fine regardless. It's certainly not a bad idea - but it's definitely not something to worry about if you forget.

I think its a must! You know the 3 things that KILL our BEER right? Light, Heat, and OXYGEN. Well you infused O2 during transfer that O2 will gas off with some Co2 still in the beer from fermentation. It might be enough but I dont ever chance it. How long did the beer ferment from the time you pitched, till you kegged? Not trying to scare you, I am sure your beer will be just fine (We talk about beer as if its our BABY LOL) But I would purge ASAP.
just my take on the deal

I think its a must! You know the 3 things that KILL our BEER right? Light, Heat, and OXYGEN. Well you infused O2 during transfer that O2 will gas off with some Co2 still in the beer from fermentation. It might be enough but I dont ever chance it. How long did the beer ferment from the time you pitched, till you kegged? Not trying to scare you, I am sure your beer will be just fine (We talk about beer as if its our BABY LOL) But I would purge ASAP.
just my take on the deal

Well, carbon dioxide IS heavier than air, and fermentation generates carbon dioxide, so unless your beer is COMPLETELY finished when you keg it, oxygen damage (if any) will only happen until enough fermentation activity has occurred to displace the oxygen just above the surface of the beer.

In other words, the bad news is, by the time you race to your LHBS for a tank refill, it's too late. The good news is, the chances it suffered from the the 15 minutes of being naked to the atmosphere are virtually nil. You pumped a lot more oxygen into your beer racking it than you will keeping it in the keg. If you want to be really safe, though, pitch in a few teaspoons of sanitized priming sugar.

And yeah, purge when you can! And until then, don't shake it.

I like to pressurize my kegs before filling, that way I know they will hold a seal. Careful filling without splashing is much more important though. The process of filling the keg will cause de-gassing & the head space will be full of CO2 regardless.

I also like to use a little pressure to ensure the lid is seated properly.

Latest posts

Back