How Important Is A Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
I've never used one myself and was just wondering if it makes a big difference? I usually use the liquid yeast you smack and give a it a few hours and it swells up like crazy.

I'm thinking my next brew is gonna be a Barley Wine and I remember reading somewhere that for a big beer you really should use a starter. True? And if so how do I make one with the liquid yeast? Do I smack it as usual, let it swell and then mix it with boiled sugar and water?

Thanks.

With liquid yeasts, a starter will cut the lag time to active fermentation down to just a few hours in most cases.

I didnt use on on my first couple batches, then started doing one the fermentation was much much better on ll of the ones I have done a starter on. Less chance fo infection, there so quick to make. If you can stuff you can can a bunch of startes saves alot of money over time

I have been using starters almost since I started brewing. I think with good aeration,doubling the amount of yeast in the packs or vials and temerature control your fermentations will be better. You will especially need one for a barleywine but the best thing to do is reuse the yeast from a prior batch.

Pitching the right amount of yeast for your beer is one of those things you can do to make your beer that much better. Do you have to do it - not usually but in the case of big beers like a barley wine it is essential. Without the right number of healthy yeast you will get a stuck fermentation. To see what numbers you need use Jamil's pitching caclulator at: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

If I'm using liquid yeast, I almost always make starters. Big starters. 2 liter starters. Better safe than sorry, as I've have fresh smack packs yield as much as THREE DAY lag times in the past when I didn't make a starter.

I always make starters now. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but I think it's improved the quality of my beers. The lag time has definitely been cut.

Thanks everyone. Next payday I'll be trying my first barley wine and, it looks like, my first starter. Now to go find and decide on a recipe.

I've seen a few posts noting that the starers have improved the beer quality... how so?

I completely understand the lag-time piece, just curious on how the starters have improved the brews. Obviously, I have yet to use a starter! :drunk:

I'm making my first starter tonight for a hefe I'm brewing this weekend. My take on starters is that they're insurance in two ways. One, they make sure your yeast is viable so you don't mess up 5 gallons of beer with dead yeast. Two, by kick starting fermentation you give your yeast a better chance to take hold of the beer and keep any other bacteria at bay.

So, to answer the question of whether it improves the quality of the beer I'd say yes, kind of. Given pristine conditions, as in ZERO chance of infection, I'd say a beer made with a starter will be of the same quality as a beer made without. But seeing as most conditions are far, FAR from pristine the starter gives you that insurance that even though the beasties are about they won't be able to affect your beer.

I use the dry SafAle US-56
I tried putting one sachet on the top of the wort, and was not happy with the results, so I used 2 sachets. Much better.
Better than anything yet is 400 ml boiled and cooled water with yeast nutrient. Add 1 sachet to hydrate 1 hour before pitching. Great results.
Not actually a starter, but just hydrating and feeding yeast before pitching.

OK, there are stupid questions...just kidding.

Scenario 1: You make a starter 2 days prior to brewing, kreusening is going on...you brew...lag time: 8 hours. :D

Scenario 2: OK, let's say you don't make a starter and you brew a batch. Three days later...nothing! You've just wasted 72 hours. :mad:

64 wasted hours, 3 days behind schedule...so, ask yourself...how important is a starter? ;)

I havent used a starter yet but with the smack packs I'm getting action within a few hours tops. I just haven't seen a need for it in what I like to brew so I haven't done it. I don't deny it's worth in the brewing world though.

I make a starter for every batch now: 1qt for regulars, 2+qts for lagers & biggish beers. Still, you don't NEED to do it. I like doing it because I enjoy doing brew related stuff....

Back