How good of a rinse does PBW need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajabee

Reaction score
I soak bottles in PBW in the utility sink to delabel bottles, then run them through the dishwasher (no soap) to sanitize. The first couple times I rinsed each bottle out 2 or 3 times, shaking about two ounces of water around in there. It took forever! This time I just did it once, then put it in the dishwasher. Do you think that single quick rinse is enough to fully rinse it out? Does it depend on the tap water? Ours is very soft.

Thanks!

I do it the way you did it the first time; rinse 3 times with a few ounces. That way, I'm sure dilution does the job. Since I only have to do it once (while delabeling, like you do), it's not that big a deal. As for what Five Star Chemical (the manufacturers of PBW) recommend, I dunno. Google is your friend.

I usually rinse 2 or 3 times quite well simply because it is NOT a no-rinse. I would hate the invest not only several dollars in supplies, but also weeks of my time and patience only to have it go down the drain because I was too lazy to rinse a keg or a few bottles.
It may seem like extra work, but remember what you have to lose if you accidentally leave some soap residue behind in your bottles.

The recommended practice is to rinse immediately with water at the same temperature as the wash water, but I usually use the hottest water out of my tap and rinse several times with aggressive sloshing of the water.

Also, I think the amount of rinse water depends on the concentration of the wash water. I've only used it to clean my fermenters, so the recommended concentration is pretty low compared to the others listed on the label.

I think if you've rinsed the slick feeling of the PBW off the glass, then you are OK.

-Steve

Hmm, well, I've got about half the bottles well-rinsed, and half rinsed once. What should I be looking for in the one-rinse bottles, if the PBW doesn't totally wash off? Is it just a loss of head retention, or off flavors? It's so diluted, I can't imagine it'd be dangerous to drink, right?

It'll be an experiment! :)

Back