How exactly do I use my new RIMS sysyem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abhitchc

Reaction score
I got my RIMS system all set to go, but I have a few questions about how to actually brew with it (go easy on me, as I am new to this).

My question is, a usual recipe calls for a 60 minute mash and a 1-2 hour sparge with additional water. When I used to do basic all grain, I would do just that.

Now that I am using a RIMS tube, I am a little confused at this step. Do I get my temps right, and then mash with the pump and RIMS turned off, or do I mash with the pumps and RIMS tube activated? Do I only measure out the usual amount of water to do the mash, or do I also add the additional water from the sparge, and mash/sparge at the same time? Or, should I do the mash and sparge separately? To sparge, I guess I will just do normal fry-sparging like I did before my RIMS?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I have been having a heck of a time acually fining out how to properly brew with RIMS.:drunk:

Is your RIMS tube temperature controlled electronically or do you direct fire your mash tun? Usually, you'd mash in and runs your RIMS and pump throughout the mash. Your going to want to mash a little thinner than normal (1.5q/lb would work). You could always add all of the water at one time, but you'd risk taking a small hit of efficiency as this is a no sparge method. If you use a control panel with PID control for your RIMS tube then it's a set it and forget it type thing. If you direct fire, you'll need to monitor your temps a little closer and fire your burner on occasion to maintain good temps.

Once your mash is done, you'll drain you mash tun and fly sparge as you would before. I'm not sure of your setup (gravity, single tier etc), so I can't get into further detail about that.

I have a 3 vessle rims. I heat my strike water in HLT and mash-in by infusion. I then fire up the RIMS to hold my mash temps for the desired conversion period. Fly or batch sparge from there.

Is your RIMS tube temperature controlled electronically or do you direct fire your mash tun? Usually, you'd mash in and runs your RIMS and pump throughout the mash. Your going to want to mash a little thinner than normal (1.5q/lb would work). You could always add all of the water at one time, but you'd risk taking a small hit of efficiency as this is a no sparge method. If you use a control panel with PID control for your RIMS tube then it's a set it and forget it type thing. If you direct fire, you'll need to monitor your temps a little closer and fire your burner on occasion to maintain good temps.

Once your mash is done, you'll drain you mash tun and fly sparge as you would before. I'm not sure of your setup (gravity, single tier etc), so I can't get into further detail about that.

My RIMS has a PID electronic temperature control. You have answered my question too. The previous time I brewed, I mashed with my RIMS, and then added my sparge water and ran it through the system for another 1.5 hours, and then drained all of it back into my brew kettle. It was fairly easy, but I did notice a loss in efficiency.

Thank you for your help. It looks like I will be going back to fly sparging now (3 tier, gravity fed).

My RIMS has a PID electronic temperature control. You have answered my question too. The previous time I brewed, I mashed with my RIMS, and then added my sparge water and ran it through the system for another 1.5 hours, and then drained all of it back into my brew kettle. It was fairly easy, but I did notice a loss in efficiency.

Thank you for your help. It looks like I will be going back to fly sparging now (3 tier, gravity fed).

What sort of efficiency drop did you see? I haven't had a chance to test mine system with this method yet, but I will be making a couple adaptations to help with the loss. First off, I've got a bottom drain MLT so I'll be able to get every last drop of the best stuff. Also, I plan on adding a BIAB bag to the MT. This will make clean up really easy, but will also allow for a finer crush and hopefully an offset of the decreased efficiency the no sparge method brings. Here's hoping.

Normally when people build a RIMS (or HERMS) system it's so that they can recirc constantly during mashing to maintain temps, and even do step mashes (rising temp) if they desire.

The constant recirc means that temp is perfectly maintained. It also continuously vorlaufs (filters) the sweet wort through the grain bed resulting in crystal clear wort (the benefits of which are somewhat dubious but it's considered one of the benefits by many).

Kal

Back