How does this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
I looked around and couldnt find it. I want to put a sight glass on my new keggle but Im not sure how these things exactly work. Can anyone explain these contraptions to me?

Basically the sight glass is simply a tube connected near the bottom of the kettle with the top end open to the atmosphere. The liquid in the tube will rise to the same level as the liquid inside the kettle. You can then mark the sight glass tube with volume gradations so that you can tell how much liquid is in the kettle at a glance. There are a number of ways to construct a sight glass. The simplest is to use a weldless fitting and a section of clear or translucenct tubing. A more sophisticated arrangement would use a polycarbonate rigid tube with a compression fitting. You could also have a coupling welded to the keg to make the connection. I don't use one myself as I find it fairly easy just to measure the liquid level with an aluminum yardstick. I use 0.8 gallons per inch above the false bottom. There's 1/2 gallon additional liquid below the FB, but that's a constant and easy to account for. I also know that the seam at the midpoint of the keg is the 7.5 gallon level. This is handy to know during the boil as I frequently do six gallon batches and begin the typical boil with 7.5 gal.

Thanks. In order to calibrate the sight glass, do most people gradually fill their keg with water and mark gallon levels accordingly?

Yes, exactly! You will know you are doing it right if you hit 7.5 gallons at the center welded seam on the keg.

I guess we can forgive you, at least I will for helpin me out. Who knows about Sea...

Back