Help! Broken pipe on glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
I use a BrewBuilt IceMaster Max 2- which has a tube sight glass on the front connected to inner piping by a duofit tees.

My wife happened to drag a bag on the floor and snapped the sightglass right out of the chiller. The pipe inside the chiller broke and resulted in the glycol solution to spill out. I had to stop the flood with a dropper to plug the pipe.

Im not sure what to do next- not to mention that my lager was only 2 days into fermentation

If anyone can assist that would be great. If the sight glass does not take any pressure when the pumps are on I suppose I could use something to permanently plug the pipe but I do not want 5 gallons of solution spilling onto the floor again.
20230220_141800.jpg

You should be ok to use it with the sight glass plugged off. Obviously you just want to make sure the plug is good and tight. The pumps should not build any pressure into the sight glass. Atleast the way my chiller is set up they do not. I do not have the same one as you so it's possible it could be different.

If you wanting to replace the "sight glass" find some clear tubing that matches the outside diameter of your duotight fittings and pop that guy on there. If you just want to plug the leak, duotight makes plugs to just till that T joint, or just buy a single connector piece instead of a T.

Here's all the duotight fittings that are readily available (if posting links is against the rules please feel free to remove my post mods):
https://www.morebeer.com/category/duotight-evabarrier.html

Thank you for the advice. My question regarding the duotight fittings is that the piping broke so that there is not any exposed outside the front wall so that fitting would have to also fit into the small opening on the front surface. I hope that makes sense

Is this the piece I would need to just plug up the internal pipe?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-pushin-fitting-8-mm-516-plug.html

Duotight Push-In Fitting - 8 mm (5/16 in.) Plug​

If it’s any help the same unit in Australia is supplied by Kegland (icemaker G20.1) and is manufactured in china
You might be able to find parts for this either from AliExpress or if you approach Kegland in Australia (that is if you can’t get any parts from brewbuilt)

thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a push fitting plug and should be here this week. Currently the pipe is plugged up with a screwdriver 😅

Is it plastic piping? If so, take off the cover and saw it clean. Then use a hose clamp and some vinyl line with an appropriate ID. Then using a reducing hose splice to bring it back the correct ID/OD for your setup

Thank you for the advice. My question regarding the duotight fittings is that the piping broke so that there is not any exposed outside the front wall so that fitting would have to also fit into the small opening on the front surface. I hope that makes sense
Is this the piece I would need to just plug up the internal pipe?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-pushin-fitting-8-mm-516-plug.html

Duotight Push-In Fitting - 8 mm (5/16 in.) Plug​

Sorry, just now seeing your question. This might work for you. Duotight Push-In Fitting - 8 mm (5/16 in.) x 9.5 mm (3/8 in.) Reducer | MoreBeer
On Morebeer page for your glycol chiller, it says that there are 5/16" barbs on the machine and the tubing is 3/8" so this adaptor might be what you need to make this a quick easy connection. Not sure exactly what the barbs look like or if they'll work with this piece. You might also be be able to buy some replacement EVA barrier tubing in place of a new plastic tube and heat heat the EVA barrier tubing up and stretch it over the barb on the front of the machine.

It looks like the nipple was molded directly into the glycol tank and part of the tank got ripped off. How about a picture of the tank where that part was?
Been away, thank you for the responses. Bobby you are right, I was able to take the outer shell off of the chiller and realized that the nipple/pipe was molded directly into the tank. I was able to use a marine epoxy to just fill the pipe/crack in tank permanently as it was only functioning as a sight glass which I dont care to have anyway.

Been away, thank you for the responses. Bobby you are right, I was able to take the outer shell off of the chiller and realized that the nipple/pipe was molded directly into the tank. I was able to use a marine epoxy to just fill the pipe/crack in tank permanently as it was only functioning as a sight glass which I dont care to have anyway.
hey, did it end up working for you with marine epoxy? I have the same problem, I broke the pipe on the sight glass. trying to figure out a way to fix it

hey, did it end up working for you with marine epoxy? I have the same problem, I broke the pipe on the sight glass. trying to figure out a way to fix it
Worked great. Ive been using the chiller since with no leaks. I used JB Weld MarineWeld brand syringe epoxy

Back