experimentation - (grape melomel...kinda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg954

Reaction score
..is the name of my band.

i'm new to brewing. i've only brewed apfelwein. and i like this simple way of "brewing". i guess technically it's not brewing though. anyways this is what i just put together:

mostly white grape juice mixed with
24 oz. of honey
1 cup of corn sugar
1 packet of wine yeast

and i just stuck an airlock on top of the jug and it should be fermenting soon. do you think this will turn out disgusting or decent or what. i plan to bottle once it's done fermenting and let it age for about a year.

what size batch is this? if its a 1 gallon batch, it might be ok, but ditch the corn sugar. that works for apfelwein...and not much else. its definitely going to detract from this recipe.

was the grape juice free of preservatives and added sugars? if not, that'll cause some issues too.

i dunno...i put some white grape juice in with some apple juice a little while back...just did a gallon. i tasted it recently, it was drinkable, but wasn't really good.

with all that honey, you're pushing more towards a mead, too...may want to read into that.

i may turn out great tho! just give it time...

it's a 1 gallon batch, i think 24% more dense than water, on my hydrometer reading. no sugar has been added to the grape juice it's all natural nothing added, just natural sugar 13g. natural sugar is in the honey too, i think around 13g as well.

i think it has preservatives too, it's just welches grape juice i bought from the store

go ahead and ride it out. it might be ok with a bunch of aging. i wouldnt' do much to 'save it' though aside from letting time mellow it out.

no sugar has been added to the grape juice it's all natural nothing added

i think it has preservatives too, it's just welches grape juice i bought from the store

I am confused, does it have preservatives or not? Look for sorbates or anything else chemical sounding in the ingredient list. The only acceptable additive is ascorbic acid (vit. C)

Back