How does this sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1268

Reaction score
6.6 lb lme
5lb dme
1oz cascade 60 min
1oz zythos 60 min
5. Oz warrior 60 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
1 oz zythos 30 min

Using ca ale yeast V wlp051

Will this be an IPA?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If this is a ~5 gallon batch this is like a ~9% ABV 130IBU beer. Will it be an IPA?, uh yeah, IIPA for sure.

Judging by the way the question is written, I'll assume this will be your first big arse IPA. 2 cents, make a starter for that yeast and brew away!

Thanks first real recipe that I put together on my own . How do I do a starter?

The specs put it in DIPA range but you have no flavor or aroma hops, so it will be very bitter but not a lot of hop character like an IPA should have. I would do a bittering addition with just the warrior at 60, maybe bump it up to an oz, then do at least 6 oz of cascade plus zythos at 15 min to 0 and dry hop with another 3-4 oz.

Here an article to read on yeast starters.
Edit: and another page on starters.

The specs put it in DIPA range but you have no flavor or aroma hops, so it will be very bitter but not a lot of hop character like an IPA should have. I would do a bittering addition with just the warrior at 60, maybe bump it up to an oz, then do at least 6 oz of cascade plus zythos at 15 min to 0 and dry hop with another 3-4 oz.

Here an article to read on yeast starters.
Edit: and another page on starters.

+1, great feedback!

Sent from the Commune

Thanks for the feedback! I figured this is a trial by fire andmim going to have to make mistakes to become a better brewer

Back