How does my mango pale ale recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Hey guys just hoping you could take a look at my mango pale ale recipe. Going for a very basic grain bill so the hop and mango will shine. All late hops so it will be less bitter and hopefully plenty flavorful. Probably will ferment with us-05. Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks.

10# 2-row
1# flaked wheat
8oz honey malt
4oz crystal 60

1oz Citra 10
1oz Galaxy 10
1oz Citra 5
1oz Citra 0
2 oz citra dry hop

OG 1.056
IBU 42

Will rack onto several pounds of mango after primary fermentation is complete.

What are your amounts for the hops listed? Galaxy is pretty potent so it would help to know!

I'm not real great with recipe construction, but IF it were me I think I'd sub the galaxy for mosaic. To me I don't get much mango from galaxy. Would be interesting to brew it with a small charge of magnum at 60, then do all mosaic at the end. But as it sits if you don't feel like swapping the galaxy it should be a tasty beer. Another option could be if you have the ability to make a starter, is using wlp644. Supposed to be a very fruity yeast strain, at least from what I've read. Still waiting to try it myself.

I actually thought about using mosaic over citra at 10 minutes and also adding some mosaic into the dry hop. I love mosaic hops just read somewhere where galaxy has some fruity and mango flavors so I thought I would give it a try. Definitely might switch out for mosaic.

Galaxy is a awesome hop, one of my favorites but like I said it can be very potent. One of my favorite beers is a mango ipa and they use all mosaic in it, so I know for sure that it plays well. The next option would be to look at some yeast that give off fruity esters. I think you can get them with us-05 if you ferment on the colder side.

I ended up going with 4oz of cira and 2oz of mosaic. I actually have been thinking abut using the conan yeast. Can anyone comment on what the best brand is? I've looked into giga yeast but it seems to have mixed reviews.

I've only used The Yeast Bays Vermont Ale and have been happy with the beers. Some say that this version doesn't attenuate very well on it's first generation,but mine have. It may be that I brew a session ale of ~4%, basically as a starter for a DIPA that I can drink. This yeast also kicks ass in a porter or CDA.

Regarding the yeast I've used the Omega's 052 strain. I read it was their "conan" strain and purchased it from Farmhouse. I have another brew in the fermenter with this yeast as the second generation. I was very impressed with it with the first batch I used it with. I am going to use it in all my brews for now (mainly, IPAs and PAs).

How did his turn out? I am planing a Mango Mosaic IPA for a homebrewer competition. Friend gave me about 50 lbsof mango. I plan on using just citrus and mosaic hops.

Thanks
Terry

Back