How Does Cold Crashing Affect Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashtown

Reaction score
I understand that cold crashing drops yeast out of suspension, but does it make carbonation times longer or even put carbonation at risk?

Carbonation time will be a little longer (because there is less yeast), so if you bottle your beer, give it an extra couple of days.
I bottle, and usually taste after a couple of weeks (or even one week) and have not had a problem with under carbonated beer.

If you brew a very strong beer, carbonation will take longer in any case.

PS - in my opinion - cold crashing is one of the great revelations I've had. Makes the beer much, Much, MUCH better without all that yeast sludge.

I believe John Palmer states that an issue will only be had if you lager for extended periods of time (greater than 6 weeks). Otherwise you should be carbed up in 3-4 as usual.

My last two beers, fermented with Kolsch yeast, I brought down to 34F for two weeks and had no problem bottle carbing them.

Crashed an APA for ~4 days, bottled... it was fully carbed in one week, tasted great @ 2.

So I would say, no effect for a short-term crash.

It actually carbed up faster than my Irish Stout that was kept under the same conditions, but was not cold crashed. Not sure what the difference was, but it happened.

Cold crashing has more effect on clarity. Cold beer holds more carbonation but by the time you get to cold crashing the fermentation is all finished and what is there at fermentation temp will still be there when cold. I cold crash all my beers and never have issues.

Back