How do you sub fresh hops for pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying fresh hops and freezing them. How do you modify a recipe to use fresh hops? Most of the recipes out refer to pellet hop additions.

I believe you need 20% more leaf hops when a recipe calls for pellets. So for 1 oz of pellets, you would use 1.2 oz of leaf.

I use brewing software, so I adjust them in the program. I adjust the hops each time anyway, since most of the time the hops have different AAUs anyway.

I adjust them up or down until I get the correct IBUs, but an easy guestimate (if the AAUs are the same %) is to use 10% more leaf hops.

But I think it's important to make the distinction between RAW whole leaf hops and dried whole leaf hops. If someone gives you fresh hops that they picked and haven't dried, then you need to account for the extra weight of the water I am told, or you will under hop.

To use Fresh hops that have not been dried, multiply your additions by 5-6. Or an ounce of pellets is about 6 ounces of Fresh hops. Freezing will probably pull some water out of the hops, but I would only be guessing as to how much.

Latest posts

Back