How do you start your Brett??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning on brewing a 100% Brett trois IPA soon and I've been reading around how to pitch this. Some say to make a starter 2 weeks in advance...

Do I buy one or two vials then make make a 2L starter? Then Let it sit for 2 weeks ? Or am I able to just pitch a couple vials into primary?

Thanks for the help!

Pitch 1 vial directly into wort from a vial. No starter. Let it sit until gravity is 1.004.

Pitch 1 vial directly into wort from a vial. No starter. Let it sit until gravity is 1.004.

Okay, what are your thoughts about mixing Brett strains together? Brett trois/lactobacillus or Brett trois/Brett c? Would you pitch half of each vial or both?

Brett trios is supposedly a sacc yeast (not brett). Just treat it like regular yeast, and make a starter as normal.

Brett trios and lacto. Pitch the lacto first and when it is soured (a week later) pitch the yeast.

Brett trois and real brett. Pitch normal starter of trios, and only the vial (no starter) of the brett.

Brett trios is supposedly a sacc yeast (not brett). Just treat it like regular yeast, and make a starter as normal.

Brett trios and lacto. Pitch the lacto first and when it is soured (a week later) pitch the yeast.

Brett trois and real brett. Pitch normal starter of trios, and only the vial (no starter) of the brett.

How long until I pitch the vial of Brett after I pitch the Brett trois?

Also what about pitching Brett from the yeast bay?

There is no set time to pitch each but you could probably pitch just the trois to sour and it would drop low enough. I'm not into pitching different Brett's but if you do trois I would just wait until it is just about to the sour level you want and pitch the other Brett. The trois will continue to sour a little while the second Brett builds itself up.

How long until I pitch the vial of Brett after I pitch the Brett trois?

Also what about pitching Brett from the yeast bay?

When pitching Brett trois (which is supposedly a sacc yeast, or other sacc yeast), and a Brett strain, you can pitch them both at the same time, or wait and pitch the brett later.

The sacc yeast will work faster than the brett leaving the brett to work anaerobically, and produce traditional brett flavors. You want to pitch large with the sacc strain, to get a decent start and decent ferment, and pitch small with the brett to 'stress' it.

Brett from Yeast Bay will be regular brett strains. I think that Brett trois is the only yeast strain that has the brett name that is probably not a true brett strain. It is a good an unique yeast, and by all means, use it, but it does not have the ferment characteristics of brett (it will not produce 'funk' when used as a secondary strain)

There is no set time to pitch each but you could probably pitch just the trois to sour and it would drop low enough. I'm not into pitching different Brett's but if you do trois I would just wait until it is just about to the sour level you want and pitch the other Brett. The trois will continue to sour a little while the second Brett builds itself up.

All indications are that brett trois is a sacc strain, and everything I have heard about it, is that it produces fruit flavors. Never heard of it producing sour. Can you provide any insight to your post?

I understand that under certain specific circumstances Brett can be made to produce some acetic acid, but for the most part, when pitched either as a primary yeast or as a secondary yeast, it does not produce any sourness.

Back