How do YOU name your beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only beer I've actually named thus far was "Shoo Fly Red" I think the reasoning behind it should be fairly easy to guess.

Well my BBS Everyday IPA is gonna be bottled soon and its already been named by the company. But I got this as a kit without a funnel($6.99), strainer($5.99), bottles($14), caps($3.99) or a capper($18). This turned into a white elephant so I'm going to lovingly call it my White Elephant IPA.

My names are all over the place. Sometimes they are based on ingredients, other times it's circumstances related to brewing, and other times it's completely random.

Currently I have on tap.
Canoe Sex - a 3.5abv kolsch.
Number of the Yeast - a farmhouse ale that I brew regularly and use an Iron Maiden t-shirt to cover the carboy.
Reese's Brew - a peanut butter chocolate Porter.
Black Cherry Apple cider- self explanatory.
Juicy Fruit IPA - a sessionable IPA dry hopped with 2oz of Belma.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Past brews: Tangerine Sky(blonde ale with Tangellos), Guest Room (an Imperial Pale that was super easy to drink), and Oops(a pale ale that had 2oz of Magnum @5 minutes instead of the planned Citra addition, was surprisingly OK...)

Outside of brewing, metal music is my other passion. I don't play, just a fan. So, I name all of my beers after metal songs, shooting for something that ties the name to the beer, whether it be something to do with the color, the style, where the style originates, etc.

Dark Nebula (by Vektor) - chocolate coffee stout.

Defenders of the Faith - (Judas Priest) - English pale ale

Red Tide Rising (by Orange Goblin) - Irish red

No Fear of the Setting Sun (by Amon Amarth) - amber ale

Agent Orange (by Sodom) - pumpkin ale

The Ancient Mariner (Iron Maiden) - a porter I just bottled and kegged that was based off the recent article/recipe in BYO about what a porter may have been like in London circa 1780. I chose Iron Maiden due to the English connection, and the song title jumped out immediately.

Blackest Black (short for "blacker than the blackest black times infinity", not a song title, but a reference to the first episode of the animated show Metalocalypse) - black IPA, or as I've taken to calling the style, american black ale.

Naming beers like this gives me and endless well of ideas, and lets me tie my two primary obsessions together.

All of my beers have a musical theme such as:

Broken G String IPA
String Bender Irish Red
Capo 2 Oatmeal Stout
A Minor Blonde Ale
E# Lager
Whole Note IPA
Open Chord Vanilla Porter
Sound Stage Lambic
Half Stack Amber

Kinda cheesy but people that know me get it.

I have been brewing a lot of clones so X Clone has been my go to for the most part. I have seen turns of phrase that I often think would make good names, and once I establish a real tap list, I am going to strat trying to come up with specific names for regular beers.

I still need to come up with a name for my Home Brewery. I have been told to go with something like GingerBrau or Ginger's Ales because I am a daywalking ginger, but have been too lazy to commit to anything.

I like naming beers something fun but also trying to keep the theme in mind or about ingredients or the experience. My first beer after the pains of gathering all my equipment and making a space to brew, etc was called Blood Sweat and Tears lol

- ISM NRP

My names are all over the place. Sometimes they are based on ingredients, other times it's circumstances related to brewing, and other times it's completely random.

Currently I have on tap.
Canoe Sex - a 3.5abv kolsch.
Number of the Yeast - a farmhouse ale that I brew regularly and use an Iron Maiden t-shirt to cover the carboy.
Reese's Brew - a peanut butter chocolate Porter.
Black Cherry Apple cider- self explanatory.
Juicy Fruit IPA - a sessionable IPA dry hopped with 2oz of Belma.

Care to share the Pb porter recipe? :)

I live on Liberty Ave so I named my brewery Liberty Ave Homebrew. I tend to look for quotes around the Liberty / Freedom theme that relate to the beer I am brewing and name the beer for the quote. When I make labels (not often) the quotes appear on the labels. A few examples:

"Svoboda" (Liberty in Russian) is my RIS, and the quote on the bottle is It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed—Vladamir Lenin

"Patriots" is my Amber APA, and the quote is The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants – Thomas Jefferson

"Disobedience" is my black rye IPA and the quote is "Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.--Henry David Thoreau"

I live on Liberty Ave so I named my brewery Liberty Ave Homebrew. I tend to look for quotes around the Liberty / Freedom theme that relate to the beer I am brewing and name the beer for the quote. When I make labels (not often) the quotes appear on the labels. A few examples:

"Svoboda" (Liberty in Russian) is my RIS, and the quote on the bottle is It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed—Vladamir Lenin

"Patriots" is my Amber APA, and the quote is The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants – Thomas Jefferson

"Disobedience" is my black rye IPA and the quote is "Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.--Henry David Thoreau"
Sorry for the sidetrack. but isn't 'rationing liberty' a contradiction in terms? If someone else is rationing my liberty, I'm not really free - any more than putting a dog on a long leash means he isn't tied up...

normally I name mine good, great or not so good

now what I call them is, the one on the center tap, or the left tap or the right tap

LOL

Mine are usually named ESP clone or American Lager clone or Pale Ale clone

not to adventurous till I make my own recipes

then they are like

CORNHOLIO, guess you can figure what adjunt that has

or

THE CHOCOLATEA, my Xmas beer, porter with choco nibs

or

LITE FIZZY BEER, my lite beer for the friends

or

HANGOVER CITY, my super high gravity scotch ale

and there is my famous wine cooler malt beverage made with 2 row and liquid punch concentrate, NOTHING NATURAL ABOUT IT WINE COOLER

so you see, simple names

I finished up my BBS oatmeal stout and was kicking around name for it. I changed the recipe, added vanilla extract, added sugar and honey. But It's been named already, so my wife came up with Semi-homemade Stout.
And let friends explain what they taste.
I will start naming them when I make my own recipe.

Eddie

Sequentially in roman numeral with the style on the bottom left and the ABV on the bottom right, date bottle on the top centre and some little logo I draw on either side of the roman numeral

I name the ones I plan to enter in contests via my lifelong hobby of fly fishing:

Sneaky Pete Brown ale (famous popping bug name)
Double Haul Robust Porter (a type of casting stroke)
The Light Line RIS (fishing at night around bridges)

I haven't come up with a recipe on my own yet (kits and have recently graduated to BIAB using other people's recipes), but I still shamelessly rename a few brews for special occasions :D

My Blue Moon clone (first extract brew) that I took to the beach was renamed "Low Tide"

My BarleyWine (Fireside Barleywine in the recipe section) was brewed on 12/22 and for some reason that's easy to remember, so "1222 Barleywine." I plan on making that a yearly tradition...condition until December then brew it again for next year.

My Saison (Cottage House Saison in the recipe section) is going to be conditioned until April 16th, and since we work on taxes this time of year it will be dubbed "Tax Saison"

My cider (USM's Caramel Apple cider in the Cider forum) is called "Two Mom Cider" because of a quote I heard on here a while back..."If you have a dad that drinks cider, you actually have two moms." Hence, Two Mom Cider

I dont really name my beers, Basically refer to them by style. However, my brew buddy "named" my first beer. A while back when I got started, I picked up an Irish Red extract kit from my LHBS for my first beer. So as I was brewing it, we were talking and he showed me a video of a comedian that had a routine that went something like this, "If I ever get into making my own beer, I am going to call it 'Responsibly' - that way any time a large beer company has a commercial, it does my advertising for me. At the end of the ad they always say 'Please drink Responsibly'."

So from that point, he refers to it as Responsibly Irish Red.

Lost my shifter wrench in my mash tun working on a stuck sparge last Irish Red Ale

Red Wrench Ale was born ...

Easy when you know how ;)

My first brew was a clone kit from NB, so that one took care of itself. I made a cream ale during a big snowstorm that shut everything down a couple of weeks ago, and I called it "I Scream Ale" because of that.

Last night I brewed up another batch, a barleywine, and I plan to age it on bourbon soaked oak for at least 6 months, and plan on calling it "Bad A** Barleywine" or BABW for short.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...

That's been my naming system so far as well.

Sunday I brewed #4, moved #3 to a secondary, bottled #2, while drinking #1.

Maybe when I start making up my own recipes I'll start trying to think up names for them.

Usually I name my beers from an event that happens to me or my friends around the time the beer was brewed.

First Snake IPA comes from an oddly intense fortune cookie.

Muddy Strut Porter is in honor of some of my friends who took a plane off the end of the runway, and got the landing gear muddy.

Percocet Dreams Pale is for my friend (actually one of the guys from the Muddy Strut story) who came over to help me brew after he had gotten his wisdom teeth pulled and was pretty high on painkillers.

Septic Sludge Russian Imperial Stout actually got it's name before the beer was even conceived. We had some "issues" with our septic system, and my septic guy helped me fix it for free. I told him I'd brew a beer for him and name it in his honor. I came up with the name and decided that an RIS would be the best fit for it.

Just taking some gravity readings on a honey wheat I'm making, and a name for it finally popped into my head. After years away, I've finally settled back down in my home town. So I thought hey! Hometown Honey Wheat has a nice ring to it! I'm not sure if anyone else is using that name or not. Wouldn't wanna steal a "brand".

So the question is, how do yall come up with your beer names? Should be a fun discussion!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

MMM

Man that's good

mmwaahh.... yeah....

eeeaaaaaahhhhh

Those are a few of the names I've given my beer.

Seriously. I don't actually name my beers. I just drink and enjoy them. I suppose I need to name them though so...

Tammy, Susan, Betty, even Amber, Ciara, or Laquisha I suppose... would all be good names for something that I put my mouth on.....

Home brewed beer is good, no matter what you call it.

My girlfriend is blonde and so was the first ale brewed. I wanted to name it Blonde Mistress, but thought she might get suspicious thinking I was naming it after someone else, so I named it my Blonde Girlfriend Ale.

I use a system similar to the hurricane naming system. In January I start at "A" and go from there alternating men's and women's names. I typically try and use a name that lines up with the geographical origin of the beer style.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I make names based on my love of history. Usually the name is somehow related to the style or related to something in my own studies--or even according to the calendar. Some are based on a bit of attitude.

I have a porter recipe that I first brewed on Cinco de Mayo and since the day celebrates the Battle of Puebla, I call it Puebla Porter.

My version of Revvy's Kentucky Common is soured and called Crocket's Fiddle.
I have a Foreign Extra Stout with Brett C that I call Bowie's Blade.
Bowie and Crocket are both heroes of the Alamo and I am working on recipes for each of the most famous Alamo defenders.

I make a Scotch Wee Heavy and Scottish 80 shilling that are a parti-gyle from the same mash. I call them The King's Caber and The Queen's Quim.

My Irish Red is named for the Irish Hercules-like hero Cuchulain.

My Russian Imperial Stout is named because of the story of the style and stories of Catherine The Great. It is called Lusty Kate's Paramour.

My rye ale is how I think a nice rye ale would look to me: My Eye on Rye.

The heather ale that I am working on is inspired by Fraoch heather ale--but a very loose interpretation. I am calling it "What the Fraoch?" ale.

I think I'm going to roll wit the "whatever feels right at the time" mantra. My second batch and first IPA was an all chinook recipe. Since my last name is Cooke and I've always had the nickname "cookie" because of it, "Cookie's Chinook-ie IPA" was born. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

One morning I was getting ready to brew a Kolsch. I hadn't slept well the night before, and was tired. My wife said "you're going to brew?" You're too scatterbrained to brew. But I brewed anyway, and my Scatterbrained Kolsch turned out great! :rockin:

I'm pretty boring in this regard. I number them by year/batch. So 1402 would be the second batch of 2014. Only when something extraordinary happens do I actually name them. My most recent named one was Boilover Barleywine.

I recently brewed a red IPA and the bung was getting stuck in the top of the carboy so I used a screwdriver (cleaned and sanitized, of course) to wedge it out. So I named it The Wedger Red

Brewed a delicious porter on Valentines day, which ended in a terrible night out with my girlfriend (arguing about the efficacy of raiki)... the relationship ended about the time of it's first tasting. Looking at the color (black), I quickly dubbed it the Valentine Porter.

Another one, my first time brewing an oatmeal stout, had a buddy helping and we looked like a couple stooges trying to squeeze the oatmeal out of a grain bag, doing everything wrong, and absolutely ****ing destroying the kitchen. The "Stooge" Stout came out great though...

I'm all over the place with most of my beer names.

My saison is Siddhartha of Suburbia because me and a buddy were going through his ipod on random to try and find a good name and that song came up(By Josh Joplin)...Figured it was a good name.

Had a MO/Simcoe smash that was called Singling out the Madness as it was 8% and 100 IBUs.

The Mandarin is called it due to; 1) I'm a Marvel fan 2) It's all Mandarin Bavaria hops.

Garage Floor Pale ale got its name from my bucket I use as a hopper fell off and spilled a ton of grain on the garage floor.

96th Meridian Pale Ale - I live within the 96th Meridian line and the beer is all meridian hops.

The Furlough - I brewed it the day the govt shut down, and bottled it the day the day the govt "re-opened".

Etc, etc, etc. Sometimes it's about the beer, sometimes its location, and sometimes its just plain random.

Back