How do you drink your Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peripatetic

Reaction score
I have a holiday party coming up this week, and I've got 5 gallons of EdWort's Apfelwine sitting in a carboy since early October. I've read that 3 - 6 months is really needed to properly condition this monster, but I'd love to server some of it in different ways at this party. Maybe sweeten it? Maybe use it in a cocktail? (I don't have time to carb it -- I should have done that with a few bottles of it weeks ago. I'll certainly have some out "plain" for folks to try, and because that's how I like it although it is a bit tart/dry right now.)

So, any suggestions? How have you served/prepared your Apfelwein in fun, interesting ways?

Thanks!

Yooper nailed how folks liked it in my neighborhood.

If you have any stout, it mixes well with that.

I would try some warm with mulling spices and sugar as well... that is some serious grog (I usually do it with red wine!) Just dont heat it too much... those tricky alcohols will jump out of the hot tub!

I seem to magically find a 12 oz bottle only after I'm already three sheets to the wind.

It generally gets poured into a glass and gulped down with nothing added. ;)

OK, I'm definitely getting a pot of that Apfelgrog going. That looks amazing!

Also, I'll have some Sprite on hand. I've heard of that one before, although I've never actually tried it.

Great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

I put from 1-3 packs of Splenda (we like it sweet) in a glass and add about 1/2" of water. Swirl to mix until clear. Then pour your apfelwein. I do this with graff and the nucleation points from the Splenda granules make an incredible head. Should have a similar effect if your apfelwein is carbed.

I like mine carbed & cold, but it's good still & hot with mulling spices too, maybe some added brandy, brown sugar & lemon zest. I wonder how it would taste if you used apfelwein instead of water with Tom & Jerry batter? I'll have to give that a try sometime. Regards, GF.

Straight or with about 25% soda water.

Note: unlike some people, I use wine glasses. Not beer steins.

I pour it over the rocks in a big glass...with a shot of good lemonade on top. Very thirst quenching drink for our warm Florida climate. The ice helps keep me from drinking too much too fast ---

I too use a wine glass. I've carbed it and bottled it flat. Even when I bottle it flat, it still gets some carbonation in the bottle so it's good. We too "usually" drink it out of wine glasses. I bottle in bombers though. i'd like to find some 8oz bottles to bottle it in.

Made a batch just for the holidays with brown sugar and a cinnamon stick. I had some for Thanksgiving, hot & mulled with more cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, poured into mugs over some honey. It was delicious even though still very young. By Christmas it ought to be really nice. Planning to have it hot & mulled again, only probably this time I'll cut it with some straight apple juice too--SWMBO said it was a little too strong for her as is. It did have a bit of an alcohol bite, but hopefully that will age out.

jcobbs, I p;an on doing the same with 2 gals for christmas and new years. I will put the rest in a 3 gal carboy and leave it alone! Nice to hear you can still drink it a little young! I plan on putting a touch of applejuice in it to sweeten and for apple taste.

I drink it cold and carbonated in big 19 oz pilsner glasses or out of 19 oz plastic restaurant style glasses.

Sometimes I drink it over ice. Sometimes I add a little diet pop - usually peach or apple flavor (generic safeway diet soda in 1L bottles).

If I'm serving it to someone for the very first time, I serve it cold in a champagne glass.

And as far as aging goes - I transfer it from brew bucket to a keg at about 7-8 weeks with the intent that I will let it age in the keg . . . but 2 weeks later the keg is always empty again. Tastes perfectly fine to me.

I chase whiskey with apfelvien. I never understood why people needed

hard drugs, booze gets me exactly where I want.

Snifter!

Actually, I basically drink everything from my snifter, though, so I'm biased.

Really, though, I think a little globe of alcohol in your hand is basically the coolest thing you can have.

Back