How do you choose your hops? [DIPA extract]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piratefan

Olde Bastard Brewing
Reaction score
Trying to come up with a DIPA recipe with 4 hops and I want some input regarding how you guys come up with your hops additions?

Currently thinking about Cluster, Cascade, Amarillo, and a hop to be named later. My reasons for each are very unscientific - what have I used before (Cascade, Amarillo) and what I want to use. I honestly have no idea how their going to work together.

BTW, malt is pale extract, with American II yeast. I will dry hope with one of the four.

I pick hops based on recipes for commercial beers I like and learning what hops I really enjoy. I pick amounts and boil times for hops based on the flavor profile I'm looking to achieve, the aroma I want, and the amount of bitterness I'm looking for. At the end of the day I'm just winging it until I come up with a definitive recipe based on trial and error.

I like to stick to no more than 3 different hops in a beer. One bittering hop and 2 flavor/aroma hops.

If you are using hops you are not familiar with I would recommend only using a single type for flavor/aroma unless you are trying to copy hop additions for a commercial beer you like. Using a single hop will give you a better idea what flavors the hops will contribute.

Cascade and Amarillo is a good place to start. Just think about what commercial beers you have tried and see whats in them. You could get a cleaner bittering hop like Magnum, Horizon, Warrior. Then think about what else you may want to try for flavor/aroma/dry hop additions. You could go Spicy route, Herbal route, Citrus, Pine, etc....

I agree with Logan....I usually don't do more than a handful of hops (maybe 3-5 varieties).

I pick either by trying to approximate a commercial beer, combining varieties that I know I like, or by trying something new (usually by itself) to learn what characteristics it adds. Trial and error is a big part.

Do you have an idea what characteristics you want for flavor or aroma? We can help you narrow down certain varieties that way.

Do you have an idea what characteristics you want for flavor or aroma? We can help you narrow down certain varieties that way.

This would help. I really like fruity hops, like Cascade and (especially) Citra. I think those 2 can make most IPA's solid!

Centennial is another good citrusy bittering hop for IPAs, and the Cascade/Amarillo combination will work well together for late additions.

one of my favourite concoctions.

Wet Coast IPA
1056 yeast
Ferment starting at 68F, let it increase to 72F over the course of fermentation.

9 lbs pale extract
1.31 lbs Crystal
1.31 lbs Carapils

1.0oz Simcoe @90m
0.25oz Simcoe @60m
0.25oz Zeus @60m
0.25oz simcoe @30m
0.25oz Zeus @30m
0.75oz Simcoe @15m
0.75oz Zeus @15m
0.25oz Columbus pellets @15m
1oz cascade @10m