How do you bottle condition lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
Here's the steps that I'd like to do. Tell me if I'm severely flawed:

1. 10-14 day ferment (inc d-rest)
2. cold crash 48 hours
3. transfer to a sanitized and CO2 purged keg (for ease of bottling using CO2 and a makeshift bottling gun)
4. toss in my priming sugar
5. purge some more and shake er up, and vice versa
6. bottle
7. sit for 3 weeks at room temp,
8. refrigerate for 2 months.

Is this doable?

I've got a 5oz bag of priming sugar from brewer's best. Probably safe to assume that's for a 5-5.5 gal brew?

Do not do step 5. It looks like you'll be introducing to much Co2 to you wort. The yeast still needs some O2 to produce the Co2 for carbonation. I would dissolve my priming sugar in a small amount of sterile water and then either add it to your beer or pour you beer onto your water/sugar mixture then slowly stir it so as not to introduce any more oxygen.

Why not force carb it in the keg? It can lager for that time even under pressure. You only need a few psi during the lagering period if you don't want to carb it right away.

Why not force carb it in the keg? It can lager for that time even under pressure. You only need a few psi during the lagering period if you don't want to carb it right away.

Because this batch is a quick gift and it's up to the recipients to condition and store the bottles. So more so I'd like to know if steps 7 & 8 are sound.

I'll just add the priming sugar to each bottle. The whole keg routine (step 3 to 5) was simply a way to get a good stir without stirring up the trub

What's the point of Step 7? You are already going to be carbed, no real need to condition at room temp at that point. The beer will condition just fine during the two months at room temp.

Be REALLY careful when you are doing the shake method of force carb. REALLY easy to overcarb, and the lager isn't going to handle a carbic acid bite very well at all.

I'd skip the room temp conditioning and use that 2 weeks to slow carb in the keg to about 2.4 atmospheres CO2 instead of fast/shake carbing.

What's the point of Step 7? You are already going to be carbed, no real need to condition at room temp at that point. The beer will condition just fine during the two months at room temp.

Be REALLY careful when you are doing the shake method of force carb. REALLY easy to overcarb, and the lager isn't going to handle a carbic acid bite very well at all.

I'd skip the room temp conditioning and use that 2 weeks to slow carb in the keg to about 2.4 atmospheres CO2 instead of fast/shake carbing.

Yea sorry it reads this way, but after the cold crash I was thinking to put the brew in to a CO2 purged keg in order to mix the priming sugar without inconsistency or stirring up trub or exposing it to open air...... Give it a mix, shake, purge once or twice and then push out in to bottles. No force carbing per se. I'm just being tedious with that process

Back