How do late additions work with a hop filter or plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garhof

Reaction score
Just curious as to how late additions such as orange peel, or fruit work with a hop filter or a plate chiller?

I've got a recipe that calls for orange zest and coriander in the last few minutes.

If I've got my filter on and/or running though a plate chiller do people just add them in the fermenter, or add them twice, in the boil kettle and in the fermenter?

Thanks!

If you're adding it in the boil in the last few minutes according to the recipe, I'd just add it into a muslin or hop bag and "steep" it in the boil like a tea bag and not worry about it getting caught up somewhere like my filter or chiller.

but how are others adding it to their fermenters? Are they not using filters or plate chillers?

Thanks!

Their not running that stuff through the filtration or chiller. If you're boiling additions like that it stays in the boil kettle. If you're adding it during the fermentation you'd want to , in most cases, add it to a secondary fermenter. You can do both the boil and fermenter if you feel its warranted. Some folks don't secondary and may actually add their additives into primary. If your adding something into the fermenter there are options. If your not worried about infection from say the orange peel and coriander, you could put them in a hop sack/ muslin bag and stick it into the fermenter. I prefer to give them, or any additive for that matter, a soak in vodka, rum, bourbon, or whiskey depending on the recipe and additive to sanitize them. Vodka is a good one because its flavor is relatively neutral, however something like Oak cubes going into a stout or porter for instance do really well in bourbon. If you start trying to run these additives through chillers or filters it's eventually going to lead to problems, I.e. stoppages. Plus you've already boiled it, the flavor, kinda like a tea bag has been depleted so if you feel more of the flavor is warranted why not add some fresh flavor via fresh ingredients into the fermenter. I know that was long winded, but I hope it helps,
Troy

Back