how do I use a Sixth Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
I got a free Sixth Barrel (torpedo) keg. I have never kegged. There is still some old New Belgium in there. I don't know what to do next to start using it. I will need to get into it...How? I will need to clean it...How? I will need to buy parts, what parts?
Simply put, I don't know what to do with this thing, but from what I've read thus far, they work fine, just a little harder to clean.

I just kegged my own for the first time in one of these I borrowed from a buddy. It works great! The big downfall is not having a big enough opening to really reach inside and scrub them. I just OxiCleaned and shook the crap out of it. No off flavors or anything yet. :) I highly recommend doing it a few times to get the hang of it before you try putting beer in. The first time I tried getting the ring back in it took forever. After 1-2 times getting the feel for it, it's really easy!

Here is a link to a thread about disassemble/reassembling one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

And here's a vid that breaks it down:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back