How do I stay cool in the Tropics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanuki

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan ahead before ruining any beer here in Hot and Sunny Thailand. I do have AirCon at the house/brew location but it's expensive to run all day and also the power goes out occasionally... I wonder is there any other way to maintain cool temps during fermentation? A brew belt cooler perhaps? or a tub of water and a little ice to but the carboy in? perhaps a fan on it also...
Any ideas for this 1st timer are much appreciated-
T

I could do with information like this also as I am moving to Spain with no air con. I'm going to see how cool it gets in the closet.

edit: I've seen some small portable air con machines that might be ok in the closet if not too expensive to run.

I've been keeping my primary fermenter bucket down to about 61-64 degrees F by having it sit in about 10-12 inches of water in a spare bathtub and tossing ice in the water occasionally. With the heat on here the air temp is usually around 68-70, so I don't know how well this would work in a warmer climate.

Dig a hole and place it underground with the airlock sticking out and a tarp over the whole thing with the earth wet. Or place it in a deep celler of some sort.

Good luck

Thanks for the help=
I'm going to try the water in a tub with some Ice...
A hole in the ground under my house is where all the nasties live=
I'm afraid to go down there meself-
some pics coming when i get my sheat together=
T

I have seen internet articles where a new garbage can is burried in the ground then covered with a foot of straw for cold storage of vegetable crops. It may be a solution.

Back