How do I mix the BLUEBERRY extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
Tommorrow is bottle day. I will first transfer from fermenter to the bucket with spigot.
Then I have the bottle of extract.--- How do I add that??
Just pour it in spigot bucket and stir it up??????
Would that cause all the sediment to go everywherE?????
And would me adding more extract a bunch of times,stirring, and keep tasting...effect outcome?(germs)...... because I dont know how much to add.
........since i only want alittle blueberry taste...nothign to over powering.

the sediment should be left in your fermenter, add the extract when you add the bottling sugar (a little at a time, stir gently, taste, and add until you get to the flavor you want). Go easy with the extracts, they can taste really bad if you add too much. Just use a sanitized spoon and be careful not to contaminate.

First off, you should add the extract when you bottle it---as in, when you mix the priming sugars in. By that point, you'll be stirring it up anyway, and you'll have left the sediment behind in the primary and secondary vessels.

If you're planning on bottling with the spigoted bucket, I wouldn't use it as your secondary vessel, because you'll need to stir in the priming solution and extract, and you will indeed stir up all the sediment that has dropped during secondary aging.

As for adding the extract to taste, as long as you keep sanitary conditions and never put any of the samples back into the beer after you've taken then out, then you should be okay. Just use a sanitized turkey baster to take small samples, but if you get the tip of the baster near any unsanitized equipment or body parts in between samples, be sure to resanitize it.

so i will transfer from fermentor to the spigot.. as it goes in 2nd bucket...i will be adding the sugar and blueberry extract...so it mixes all in .......

i'll start with 2oz. in the 5gal. then i will taste from there...
Do you think 2oz might be too much?

bobbydigital said:
so i will transfer from fermentor to the spigot.. as it goes in 2nd bucket...i will be adding the sugar and blueberry extract...so it mixes all in .......

i'll start with 2oz. in the 5gal. then i will taste from there...
Do you think 2oz might be too much?

Okay, so I'm assuming it's been long enough where you're sure it's ready for bottling. How long as it been since primary fermentation was finished?

There's absolutely no way to know how much will be too much, because I don't know what kind of extract you're using. I pretty much ruined a porter one time because I followed Papazians instructions and added half a bottle of spruce extract to it (the bottle itself called for the entire thing!!!), and now it tastes like a pine tree, all because the extract I had was obviously more powerful and concentrated than others. So, really, the only way to do this is to start small. How much is in the bottle? I'd start with an ounce and go from there.

its fermented for about 15-17 days now..so bottle time is here
------------
5 gallons of wheat....... the muttons liquid malt is what i used....
i got the whole kit from www.draftsman.com
-------------------------------
now i got 4oz of bluberry extract..by ID CARLSON..
outside says 2 oz for 5gallons...... ill use 1 and taste from there.

Latest posts

Back