How do I keep getting an infected taste in my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxton

Reaction score
Every time I put a new beer on draft if I try it int he first day or two its great but after a week it gets an astringency and the alcohol shines through. I can be more descriptive later but I was wondering if any specifics can cause this. Here's my process shortened. I run really hot water through the line after cleaning out the keg thoroughly then I run sanitized water through it for a while and the keg looks/smells fine. 3 days after kegging off flavors come through. I also try siphoning through a Ayer of co2 first to avoid oxygenation. Any help is beyond greatly appreciated!

I had the same thing happen to me, trying to be cheap I had a y-adapter to split the air between the kegs. Well I finally heard what was happening, beer was being pushed up through the air line into the other keg past the y-adapter. I finally spent money and got a one-way valve hookup and haven't had the issue. Knock on wood.

Do you have a picnic tap set up, where you can sample the beer out of the keg without going through your faucets? If you can sample the beer directly out of the keg, it can rule out where the infection is coming from. Infection can be in the keg, in the faucets, in the lines, etc.

If this is happening to ALL of your beers, I'd suggest taking a look at your keg cleaning and sanitizing regiment, and then work from there.

I had a keg generated infection a few months back. I changed out all my hoses, took everything apart including the kegs, pbw'd, then sanitized. No more infection.

That's my setup. I will be trying to get around to changing my lines first and then take the kegs apart and PBW them. i already do clean them with it and sanitize but haven't taken them apart which will be a crazy job I imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you use to santise? and how long are the kegs conditioned for?
Priming or force carbing (set&forget or burst)?

That's my setup. I will be trying to get around to changing my lines first and then take the kegs apart and PBW them. i already do clean them with it and sanitize but haven't taken them apart which will be a crazy job I imagine.

Seriously? I take my kegs apart each time I clean them. It takes less than 5 minutes. I think you found the source of your infections.

Seriously? I take my kegs apart each time I clean them. It takes less than 5 minutes. I think you found the source of your infections.

+1. Can't watch videos at work but if they a ball locks you need 1 tool, a 7/8 spanner (usually).

Yeah for ball locks it is usually a 7/8" (or 22mm) ring spanner although some posts are 11/16" (I think). I suggest you replace all the o-rings, do a search on here for the part numbers from mcmaster carr (sp?) as you can get enough o-rings from there to do 10+ kegs for the same price as an "corny keg o-ring replacement kit".

Another big note the aroma is sulfuric and very metallic alcohol smell. I didn't know if the specific bacteria could be pinpointed and advice for cleansers could be apointed. I use easy clean from carlson and iodophor.

I bought the socket and took them apart for cleaning and already breezed thru keg number 1 as it's tasting much better! Keg 2 is tasting quite good even though I didn't like it much from sec. ferm. so that's a sign that was the issue. Thanks everyone@!

Back