How do i exract a hop rhizome from an exsisting plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ky-Ale

Reaction score
I know of a farm in my hometown in Michigan that has hops growing like crazy all over playground equipment and there barns. I know they do not sell them and I'm almost certain they dont even want the plants there. If i can convince them to let me get the rhizome off the hops growing there i want to grow them in my backyard. How do i go about getting the rhizome? Do i just dig around to find the roots and take a piece from near the crown?

You lucky dog you. I just ordered some and received them today. Can't wait till tomorrow to get them in the ground. I'd be interested in hear how to do this also so as to populate the neighbor outcroppings with our bittering flowers.
BB

I just found hops in my backyard last season. They must have been there for years just never noticed. That is what got me started in brewing.

I was planning to transplant some myself. By the looks of the rhizomes online, I was planning to dig around the root and cut out a chunk with a few shoots on it. I would be curious to know a proper technique as well.

. . . . . . . .Do i just dig around to find the roots and take a piece from near the crown?

Yes, or you can dig up the whole crown which would get you more hops sooner. They are still going to have hops however, the only way I know of to get rid of hops is to spray them.

Do they know what variety? Do they have more than one variety?

I just found hops in my backyard last season. They must have been there for years just never noticed. That is what got me started in brewing.

I was planning to transplant some myself. By the looks of the rhizomes online, I was planning to dig around the root and cut out a chunk with a few shoots on it. I would be curious to know a proper technique as well.

That's all there is to it. An 8-inch chunk is all you need to get going.

Yep by now they will be growing, just dig up a chunk of growth, keep it moist while you transport and plant immediately when back home.

Cut back most of the green growth, leaving just a few leaves , water well and wait for new shoots.

unfortunately i dont know what variety of hops they are, at least i can trust them to grow in my area however. I will just have to brew with them and see how they are. I can always order a specific variety when i get a good grip on growing hops.

I have never brewed with anything other than pellets though. I would be making a wet hopped beer if i brewed with these right of the vines, correct?

Does it matter what time of year to dig them up? A few years ago I got two varieties and gave one to my dad to plant. Now I want to get a rhizome from his plant.

Typically you pull rhizomes in early spring before growth comes up

But if you have a runner that is already growing , you can dig it up and pot it

Back