how do I calibrate my itc-308?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I fear my Inkbird itc-308 is starting to slip. Does anyone on here know how to recalibrate or verify that it is out of whack? It's just not acting normal.

I've got it hooked up to a funky Rye Saison right now. The airlock is rockin', full krausen after 24 hours and it's temp has only risen 2 degrees in 48 hours after pitching and the probe seems slow to react. I was planning for this to free-rise and ferment at whatever temperature it settled on so it's not a big deal on this batch, but on my previous batch (Flanders Red) and all my other Saisons the temps would rise close to 10F if uncontrolled.

I've got a lot of brewing to get done in the next 6 or so weeks so I'd like to get this figured out before I start fermenting things that need to be cool. Cheers!

The “CA” screen accesses the calibration function. The default is 0°. Using the up or down keys you can set a calibration offset using the difference between your 308’s reading and the reading of a thermometer known to be accurate.

If you want to check the accuracy of a thermometer, take readings in a container full of ice water and a kettle on the stove in which you are boiling water. The cold reading should be around 33°F and your boiling temp will depend on your elevation (Google is your friend).

Assuming you've got a spare of whatever you're fermenting your saison in, I'd advise you calibrate with that and pay particular attention on where on the fermenter you're placing/taping it. When I was using my little Picobrew fermenters I noticed there was a temp difference based on where I was placing the probe. Top was a type of plastic, body was metal and bottom was a rubber covering of sorts.

Thanks for the help, tips and advice guys. I'll try to recalibrate using the ice water method, and once this batch hits the keg I'll try out the idea of finding the 'sweet spot' to tape the probe to.

But, I still fear it will be for nothing. I'm beginning to think something went wrong on the thermostat. It had been 'stuck' at 71.3F for a few hours, and I'm trying out a new heat wrap I go so I set it to 72F and that's immediately what the probe was reading. Weird. So I dropped it back to 71F and it went back to 71.3F once it set the temp. It's served me well up until now, I just expected it to last a little longer!

Back