How do I add DME during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calimainer

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew last week, but got a lower than ideal SG. I sealed the wort in my fermenter and ran off to my LHBS the next morning for DME to compensate for the discrepancy. I added the DME to the room temperature wort and stirred it until it dissolved, then added it in to the fermenter.
I've read on other posts that you must mix DME with boiling (or at least hot water) before you add it to the fermenter? Is this for sterility, because it seemed to dissolve fine in room temp water?
Should I be concerned about my beer reaching the FG I expect even though I added DME in cold?

It is for sanitation purposes. Time will tell if you have an infection. Generally speaking, whenever you add water to wort after boiling, the water should be boiled and cooled first.

I used wort that had been boiled, and I sterilized the pot and spoon that I used to mix in the DME. Is it safe to assume that the vacuum sealed DME was sterile?

You'll most likely be fine. But "best practice" would have you boiling it before adding it.

Good tip. Thanks guys.
Hopefully I won't have anything nasty form and I'll be drinking a Vanilla Oatmeal Stout in 5 or 6 weeks.

Back