How did you find us?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! :mug:

Please let us know how you found HomeBrewTalk.com ....
I'm making 5 gal. of Muscadine and Fox grape wine from last falls frozen harvest here in Bastrop, Texas and just happened onto your website. I'm 77 & have been brewing and wine making since 1963 in Conroe Texas. This website looks like gold. BTW Every roat around me is covered with huge grapevines. Come fall I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

I'm making 5 gal. of Muscadine and Fox grape wine from last falls frozen harvest here in Bastrop, Texas and just happened onto your website. I'm 77 & have been brewing and wine making since 1963 in Conroe Texas. This website looks like gold. BTW Every roat around me is covered with huge grapevines. Come fall I'm gonna need all the help I can get.
Welcome aboard! We look forward to hearing about your brewing and wine.

So I’ve had questions about my beer and I’ve landed on this site several times. I now wanna join so I can post this insane photo of a some top yeast, looks like an infection from what I read! Gonna be goood

Googling the methods of becoming a mead judge...you just came up. And I saw a thread of someone using champagne yeast...and I thought..."oh yeah...this is my group..."
Contact your local homebrew club. They may offer a BJCP certification preparation classes. They should at least be able to point you in the direction of someone who does offer that training.

I was reading a thread on a subreddit about fermentation and somebody ordered oak staves for their vacuum sealed pepper fermentation, and I got curious about using it in a brew. I googled whiskey staves in beer, and found a thread here about somebody doing that exact thing.

Turned over a rock on the Google search engine and found info on Kevin yeast that says I can make mead in the desert in summer. Yessss!
Was looking for how to measure alcohol levels. To my horror there seems to be some math involved. Is there not a gauge like a thermometer that I just stick in and it says 7%

Was looking for how to measure alcohol levels. To my horror there seems to be some math involved. Is there not a gauge like a thermometer that I just stick in and it says 7%
Sorry, no. There is such a hydrometer for alcohol/water mixes (as when distilling), but beer is a witche's brew of water, alcohol, dextrins, proteins, and other stuff. For beer you need to know the OG and FG, and then there are on-line calculators that will do the "heavy" lifting for you. Here's one.

Brew on :mug:

I started with a free one gallon kit I got from someone who never used and had always wanted to get into single gallon brewing and just never made the leap. Found a website dedicate to it here: https://www.gallonbrewing.com/ which had a link to the single gallon thread in the beginners forum. Read that entire thread, bought 4 more one gallon fermenters, joined this site, upgraded my brew system to do 5 gallon batches, and now have a 3 tap keezer, 4 kegs, and about 100 bottles of ~8 different kinds of beer. Love this hobby and this community is great.

@aceluby you got bit quick and hard. But I agree, if you want to brew to the best of your ability get the equipment you need and go for it. This forum and others have expert advice and equipment and ingredients are readily available most everywhere.

@aceluby you got bit quick and hard. But I agree, if you want to brew to the best of your ability get the equipment you need and go for it. This forum and others have expert advice and equipment and ingredients are readily available most everywhere.
Yeah, just started this year and have about 50 brews under my belt. I tend to do this with my hobbies, but luckily my wife is very supportive. It helps that she likes drinking (some of) my beers.

Yeah, just started this year and have about 50 brews under my belt. I tend to do this with my hobbies, but luckily my wife is very supportive. It helps that she likes drinking (some of) my beers.
Yeah wives have a way of being supportive. Mine even came up with a new abbreviation to describe her opinion of one of my concoctions once, NFT. (Not f____ing tasty). Lol.

Yeah wives have a way of being supportive. Mine even came up with a new abbreviation to describe her opinion of one of my concoctions once, NFT. (Not f____ing tasty). Lol.
Mine was "this tastes like bud light" - which I took as a compliment even though she clearly hated the beer

Found this place via Google while learning how UV and artificial light affect hard apple cider during fermentation. We moved this year and have apple trees that we just harvested and juiced.

Taking my first crack at brewing hard apple cider (brewing anything actually) in a Carboy, 2 weeks in, and now starting to stress about the artificial light that the carboy is exposed to in my office.

Welcome to the community from Alabama. Sounds like you jumped right in. Yes sun light is not good. You can simply wrap it with a blanket or such. Put it in a cool dark location if possible.

Are you using an air lock or blow off tube? Your fermentation should be slowed to almost nothing or finished by now. Do you still see active bubbles rising?

you can also do it with the SG & Refractive index....
In this case you are using the SG (specifically FG) and RI (expressed as BRIX) to estimate the OG, and then using the OG and FG to calculate ABV. An actual OG measurement is going to have less chance for error than an estimated OG. In any case this isn't really the best thread to discuss more advanced topics.

Brew on :mug:

Welcome to the community from Alabama. Sounds like you jumped right in. Yes sun light is not good. You can simply wrap it with a blanket or such. Put it in a cool dark location if possible.

Are you using an air lock or blow off tube? Your fermentation should be slowed to almost nothing or finished by now. Do you still see active bubbles rising?
Thanks for the welcome and input!

I was using an air lock then had to move to a blow off tube. I am back to the airlock now as we checked the batch last weekend (0.991). There is not really any bubbles still rising. We are going to bottle it this weekend and I'm not sure what to expect :) I may also try to use some priming sugar to carbonate a couple bottles...

Apart from a few Mr Beer kits with my dad back in the 90's, my brother introduced me to AG brewing around 2009. He was an active member here back then but he was off to other things by the time I made an account and started contributing.

He seemed like a beer wizard to me back then, three keggle propane system on a unistrut cart and a two-tap kegerator from an old fridge. His entire career was maybe 15 batches, I'm approaching 70 batches myself and manage to keep my 4 taps mostly loaded so I guess that makes me some sort of a wizard.

My brother may have lent the spark, but this community showed me how to build my own EBIAB setup and taught me everything I know about making beer.

Back