How Come No One Bottles RIS in 12oz'ers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
My wife [edit: SWMBO] will hardley touch anything high gravity. So, if I want to kick back and enjoy a big ol' RIS, it usually means a bomber of the stuff all to my lonesome.

I love beer, but I don't much appreciate getting too off kilter any more. So, I as much as I love a good RIS or barley wine, I don't get 'em that often. Had a 11 %'er tonight, but wish I could've gotten just 12 oz, not 22.

/rant

I dislike bombers in general. If I wanna share some beer I would rather have the option of just opening multiple bottles than being stuck with a huge open bottle

If you can find it, Goose Island comes in 12 oz. bottles. Black Friday is coming... :)

Why do they do it? Because they can get a higher price per ounce in the 22 oz bottle.

Truth. I was on the tour at Ommegang a couple years ago, and the guide flat-out admitted that even though the 4-packs look less impressive, they're a better value than the 750 mL bottles.

A lot of those RIS beers are "special" limited editions and many people buy a bomber to share with others.

That said, there are some that are available in 12 oz bottles, but you have to look.

And for the record, I've been wanting to find some 8oz bottles for my strong ale homebrew, since I usually prefer a bit less than 12 ozs when I'm sampling them.

A lot of those RIS beers are "special" limited editions and many people buy a bomber to share with others.

That said, there are some that are available in 12 oz bottles, but you have to look.

And for the record, I've been wanting to find some 8oz bottles for my strong ale homebrew, since I usually prefer a bit less than 12 ozs when I'm sampling them.

I would love to find some of these as well. There are clear 6 Oz champagne bottles but would prefer a bit more volume and brown or green glass.

If you don't mind plastic you can always get a bunch of these. Some new PET bottle caps from the LHBS and you're in business.

If you don't mind plastic you can always get a bunch of these. Some new PET bottle caps from the LHBS and you're in business.

Actually, I'm not a fan of plastic. In any case I could use 10oz glass Coke bottles if I wanted clear bottles too. I just want small, brown, bottles. Seems like there would be a small market for them.

Actually, I'm not a fan of plastic. In any case I could use 10oz glass Coke bottles if I wanted clear bottles too. I just want small, brown, bottles. Seems like there would be a small market for them.

I don't think I've ever seen any small brown glass bottles. Maybe they exist, but I'm not aware of them.

While not as good as brown, you might try to scrounge up some small green 7oz 7up bottles at antique shops or on ebay. I'd hate to think how much that would set you back.

You're supposed to share those?

I've used a couple of different small bottles. Used to be able to get small bottles from limited release BMCs once in a while. Little Kings was a good source of green IIRC, but I think they went to twist off. That's the problem with a lot of the small bottles, they are twists.

I can find clear bottles now and again. I bottle some wine and mead in clear soda bottles, but I cork those.

These days I just pour a 12oz bottle and enjoy it. I have a simmering hate for twist bottles because I know I can't reuse them, and they just advertise "cheap" to me. (I know they are supposed to be convenient, but half the ladies I know have to get help of some kind to open their twists and opening a beer using cool or unusual methods should be a national pastime!)

I prefer bombers and, given the choice, will always buy a bomber over a 12oz. After some conversations with a few distributors around here, I found that I am in the minority on that. They always sell way more 12oz than they do bombers.

Latest posts

Back