How can I salvage this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dward85

Reaction score
Hi All -

Long story short here, I used caps that I believed to be air-locked but it turns out, they are not. So I have been waiting 4 weeks for a beer to carb up that never will.

Is there a way I can still get some carbonation into these? Should I pop a domino sugar cube in each and re-seal properly?

Thanks for the help! Total beginner over here.

A Domino sugar cube per bottle will def give you bottle bombs. As to how to salvage the bottles, I'm not entirely sure.

So presumably, and I’m no expert either but if the bottles weren’t sealed they’ve been exposed to oxygen for the past 4 weeks? Perhaps in a small amount, but sounds like they’d be not ideal at this point?

Have you opened one to see if they’re worth salvaging?

So presumably, and I’m no expert either but if the bottles weren’t sealed they’ve been exposed to oxygen for the past 4 weeks? Perhaps in a small amount, but sounds like they’d be not ideal at this point?

Have you opened one to see if they’re worth salvaging?
i have tasted quite a few of them over the past few weeks and they are actually quite delicious. Any ideas on how to salvage?

I’ve never bottled before, so I’d be guessing along with you. In your shoes, I’d assume any sugars I had put in the bottles would be spent by now. Hoping there was still enough yeast to do the work, I’d work up another priming solution based on how much beer you have, desired carbonation, etc., distribute evenly, re-cap and watch for over carbing over the next couple of weeks.

:tank:
Obviously those should have been clearly labeled/marked/advertised with "For Decorative Purposes Only!" Do not use for bottling (beer)!

Maybe you can get them replaced for free... for real bottle caps, plus the cost of your ruined batch of beer. Not talking about labor involved, hassle, disappointment, time wasted, and disruption of ego.

Last time I bought bottle caps was from my LHBS 7 years ago, they were $3 per pound, IIRC. They have huge bins full of them. One was an overrun or a special edition, or so, with Baltimore on it. I got those.

Last edited:
:tank:
Obviously those should have been clearly labeled/marked/advertised with "For Decorative Purposes Only!" Do not use for bottling (beer).

Maybe you can get them replaced for free... for real bottle caps, plus the cost of your ruined batch of beer. Not talking about labor involved, hassle, disappointment, time wasted, and disruption of ego.

Last time I bought bottle caps was from my LHBS 7 years ago, they were $3 per pound, IIRC.
so it sounds like you dont think theres any way to salvage the batch? maybe a 1/4tsp of sugar and re-cap and hope there is still some yeast in there? The beers taste great so thats not an issue at all.

so it sounds like you dont think theres any way to salvage the batch? maybe a 1/4tsp of sugar and re-cap and hope there is still some yeast in there? The beers taste great so thats not an issue at all.
If the beer is still good, you're lucky.
Maybe there was a CO2 blanket trapped in the headspace, the cap sealing just well enough to prevent it from dissipating.

I'd make a priming solution with the right amount of sugar for the carbonation level you want. Chill, add some yeast to it, mix. Either measure out the priming solution with a 1/2 tsp or so (dilute to the correct volume first, to cover all your bottles), or use a graduated syringe to dope the bottles. Recap.

If you don't have any yeast slurry in the fridge, maybe add 1/16-1/8 teaspoon of dry beer yeast (e.g., US-05, S-04) [ADDED:] to your priming (sugar) solution.

Last edited:
I think you should be able to salvage them. In fact the lids not sealing properly has probably saved you in a way being that the carbonation that did happen would have pushed out the oxygen and kept the beer still fresh. You should be able to re-do the priming step. Whatever the full batch called for, just divide it among the full number of bottles. Be sure to cool the liquid down to the required temp first. Also you will probably have to add some yeast to the priming sugar since any yeast in the beer would have most likely been used up already. But I think if you add yeast you're going to have to be very careful on the amount. You don't want exploding bottles everywhere.

Also you will probably have to add some yeast to the priming sugar since any yeast in the beer would have most likely been used up already. But I think if you add yeast you're going to have to be very careful on the amount. You don't want exploding bottles everywhere.

If the original priming sugar was used up, chances are there are still enough viable yeast for round two. But adding more yeast won't cause exploding bottles, because the amount of new carbonation will be limited by the (new) sugar available.

Just to be on the safe side, I would treat these bottles as potential bottle bombs after you've reprimed them - keep them in a safe place, and use precautions when handling them. Maybe one or two of them happened to seal, even though they don't have any seat. Then those would end up with too much carbonation pressure. I'm suggesting this because I don't know if it's possible for some to seal in spite of not having a seat - it just seems to me that it could happen.

I would use use the carbonation tablets the homebrew store sells, and maybe a couple drops of fresh yeast slurry if you want to play it safe. Don’t worry about oxygenization, you will be fine. Those caps sometimes don’t dissolve right away, so give the bottles a swirl before capping. The agitation will force out any dissolved carbon dioxide, and form a blanket to cap over.

After 4 weeks, I doubt if you have to worry about much residual sugar. You can drop the correct number of drops for a low carbonation if you want. Me, I like a highly carbonated beer anyhow, and have never experienced a bottle bomb.

If you took note of you FG at bottling, take a gravity reading and see where you’re at. Primed beer should be about 3 points higher than the FG. If you prime back to the FG+.003 you should be fine.

Some bottle caps you find online or at craft stores are sold for hobby purposes only, as they lack the plastic cap liners which seal the bottle. You probably have these. If used, the headspace is probably filled with C02 at this point. I would slightly loosen the caps slightly for a few days. Then remove the caps, spray the lip with a StarSan solution, place carbonation sugar pills back in and re-cap with regular oxygen absorbing bottle caps.

I think the yeast will still be viable, but if you are concerned, make a small 2 oz yeast starter in a small mason jar, then squirt a small amount into each bottle with a sanitized eye dropper before capping.

I think the yeast will still be viable, but if you are concerned, make a small 2 oz yeast starter in a small mason jar, then squirt a small amount into each bottle with a sanitized eye dropper before capping.

Why a starter? The amount of yeast needed to carbonate a batch is far less than the amount in a single pack of any commercial yeast.

Just rehydrate a small amount of dry yeast (half teaspoon) in some cooled boiled water would be fine. We're only talking a couple ounces so you have something to work with using an eye-dropper, then add the carbonation pills to the bottle. I've had to re-carbonate a few batches over the years (also works to increase carbonation) and it works great. Simple and quick.

Last edited:
Back