How can I make a quick Cider batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanbro

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to make a gallon batch of cider to take to thanksgiving. Is this possible todo and still have a drinkable cider. Oh and I would like it to be 3.5ABV or higher... Thanks!

Hello, I'm looking to make a gallon batch of cider to take to thanksgiving. Is this possible todo and still have a drinkable cider. Oh and I would like it to be 3.5ABV or higher... Thanks!

To get 3.5%ABV you would have to dilute the apple juice down. Most commercial apple juice is 1.050 SG which gives you alittle over 6%ABV

Start your cider as you normally would (add sugar to get to 1.08 or so) but once you get to a alcohol level and sweetness you like (say around 1.02-1.04) bottle and allow to carb for a day or two, then stove top pasteurize. Chill and ready to drink right away. In the recipe section there is a "5 day cider" that follows this method.

I just made a gallon batch of the "5 day cider" recipe and it turned out rather good, had a bottle bomb because I think I added too much yeast. Every one that has drank it says it is good and it carbed up nicely.

I started a batch about 5 - 6 days ago. I used store bought apple juice (mott's) and added 1 cup of dextrose.

I noticed yesterday that the bubbling in the airlock had nearly ceased. So I racked it into a bottle and just decided to drink it. OG was about 1.060 if I remember correctly. Ended up being 1.000. Very very dry and almost "tasteless" as a friend put it. (my girlfriend said it smelled like formaldehyde. Im thinking this is not a good thing)

I just started a new batch using pasteurized pressed apple cider (1 gal), adding 2 cups of brown sugar, a little pumpkin spice, and decided to use an ale yeast to (hopefully) add more of a beer zing*. I also found a bung at my local brew store that fits perfectly in the bottle that the cider came in so I didn't bother with bottling; which was nice because it cut down on a lot of sterilizing

Im going to check the gravity every day on the new batch to prevent it from drying out. Then bottle it.

Anyone know of a way to check how much yeast is still active in your brew to prevent bottle bombs?

You can chill it down. This will take most of the yeast out of suspension. The cold makes them go inactive. Just depends on how long you chill it for how much yeast is left. As far as I know there is no way to measure the yeast content.

focus on the sugar left when you are worrying about bottle bombs. a lot of yeast in the bottle with no sugar will not give you bombs. little yeast and lots of sugar go boom boom
the practical way to check how much yeast is active is to monitor the gravity.

Back