how best to clean a dirty blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a keg dip tube brush (similar to the brush in the previous post) and wrapped a small piece of paper towel around the brush part. Pushed it through as far as the wire will go and pulled it out. Repeated on the other end of the tube. Since the brush has stiff bristles it has no problem gripping onto the paper towel on the way in and pulling it out. It cleaned it PERFECTLY!!!

Blowgun attachment on an air compressor, couple foam ear plugs or wadded paper towel, and 90p.s.i.
Problem solved.

Those long brushes I linked in my last post are now 20% off @ $5.63 for anyone interested. Hey walking deer, did you use black powder or Pyrodex? I still have some sabots laying around from the 50 cal... ;)

My 1/2" line didn't get cleaned after I used it to rack a batch into a keg so it had splotches of mold in it. I soaked it in Star-San for an hour or two, which made the tubing a bit sticky but it rinsed off. I wrapped a wad of paper towel around a 3/8" dowel and pushed it through with help from a skewer since I had more tubing than dowel. Clean as a whistle.

The weighted line with a rag or bit of paper towel on the end sounds like a winner.

As for why bother cleaning it? I had everything I needed to clean it and it took less time and $$ than going to the LHBS for more. :)

Latest posts

Back