How BEER Saved the WORLD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832368/

A few stretches and assumptions in this, but overall, thoroughly awesome and thought provoking.

2 BIG points I took away:

1. Beer made with water from a duck pond turned out good.

2. Ancient Egyptian Beer was antibiotic....

I am seriously intrigued by the pond/lake water idea.

From a post apocalyptic standpoint I am likewise intrigued by streptomyces beer. (antibiotic)

My favorite part was about how the Star Spangled Banner originated from an old drinking song. It felt so right. :)

Yeah,I thought it was interesting how ancient Egyptian beer contained tetracyclene. I used to use that in my aquariums for sick fish. It apparently helped keep them healthy. Yea beer! :rockin::mug:

I know that sombody in here made lake beer, he is a fishing guide or something like that.

I remember suggesting that he give the beer to clients. While they drink, begin peeing over the side and casually mention that the beer is made from lake water ;)

In the movie, they took some pretty rank looking pond water and made beer.

It killed the pathogens, but left a BUNCH of funky stuff in the water, albeit DEAD funky stuff, but it makes you think.

Yeah,like what water quality was really like in the middle ages. They dumped every kind of foul mess into the same waterway they drank from...:drunk:

unionrdr said:
Yeah,like what water quality was really like in the middle ages. They dumped every kind of foul mess into the same waterway they drank from...:drunk:

It really is beyond comprehension how anyone thought that wasn't a bad thing!

This sort of thing seems to obvious to us now, but it required a rather advanced scientific breakthrough - namely, the Germ Theory of Disease. This didn't come around until the late 19th Century... not that long ago in terms of human civilization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germ_theory_of_disease

Even today, you have idiots like Bill Maher going around spouting off what amounts to a denial of reality when it comes to infectious disease.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/10/16/is-bill-maher-really-that-ignorant-part/

Some further enlightenment of certain members of society is still needed.

Crazy.

We're talking about the same people who thought that disease was either from 'bad air' or the wrath of God's punishment for their sins... and they assumed that fermentation was magic... science is awesome

When the first settlers came to what is now the states, they had the European fear of drinking water because it led to sickness. They had no idea that the water here was untouched by the same filth they had in Europe, they just though all water was bad and it had to be made into beer to be drinkable (still a pretty good excuse:drunk:) thus, the first beer known to be brewed by very thirsty colonists was made from ACORNS!

Reference: Beer in America: The Early Years 1587-1840 by Gregg Smith

Let us also not forget that our great country, the U.S. of A was founded by gentleman who enjoyed ales on the regular. It is well known that John Adams had Madeira or warm hard cider with breakfast every morning!

So if you think about it, our founding fathers were sitting around drinking beer talking of politics, human rights and the like and look what we have now, the greatest Democratic Republic in the world!

SOURCE- David McCoulough JOHN ADAMS

One of my friends is a grad student that made the pond water beer. He just moved home from Chico, CA. I was sitting in my living room drinking beer watching this on history channel and holy **** thats " insert friends name" I got beer in my lap trying to hit the back button yelling, hey, hey come look at this!

Ok, I get throat / ear / nose infections and have to quit drinking for a while and take antiboitics.

HOW do I make my beer to have tetrycyclene in it?

The same general bacterial infection that gives you strep throat creates tetracycline in the fermentation process. You have to go no-boil and have grains from the right source.

Ok, I get throat / ear / nose infections and have to quit drinking for a while and take antiboitics.

HOW do I make my beer to have tetrycyclene in it?

Aside from the issue of how bad an idea it would be to intentionally inoculate a beer with Streptomyces, tetracycline resistance is so common that it's rarely prescribed anymore (with a few exceptions for spirochetal infections and a few intracellular bacteria).

In other words... it wouldn't work even if the strep didn't hurt you.

Aside from the issue of how bad an idea it would be to intentionally inoculate a beer with Streptomyces, tetracycline resistance is so common that it's rarely prescribed anymore (with a few exceptions for spirochetal infections and a few intracellular bacteria).

In other words... it wouldn't work even if the strep didn't hurt you.

Disappointing, but good to know!

Latest posts

Back