How bad will this be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-BB-

Reaction score
Ok so I am about to brew my third batch ever, and want to venture out on my own. My last batch was Ed's Kolsch, and I don't want to waste such a great yeast cake, so I'm thinking about pouring this on the Kolsch yeast.
Since as I said before I'm completely new to the brewing world, I'd like you more experienced guys to poke holes in this for me.

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.1 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 31.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 5 7.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 2.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 1.1 IBUs

mashing at 152deg and ferment 3weeks @ 62deg before bottling.

I have reused a yeast cake many times before, and with good results. The trick is to not brew too many batches on a prior cake. I now make a "mother" starter with a particular yeast, and even though the original yeast gets re bloomed, there is nothing to change it's character. After you rack your beer off your yeast cake, add 2 or 3 cups of sterile water, give it a really good swirl and pour into a quart or even a half gallon bottle. Let it separate, pour the yeast off the top into a sterile bottle, and now you have a reusable yeast batch in a bottle. The rest of the yeast/trub is fine to pour over with your new brew. Now you have the time to make a proper starter for your next batch, or any batch there after

Are you aiming for a particular style? Assuming this is a 5.5 gallon batch and ~65% BH efficiency, this would be a little dark for another Kolsch and a little light for an Altbier. What particular strain are you using? Since it is a Kolsch, it would benefit from a larger or an extended cold crash. Also your IBU's are around 55 - 60 and your malt bill is low, this is going to be pretty bitter, well into the IPA range. Also if you are shooting for an IPA, it would benefit from an aroma hop addition or two.

Ok so I am about to brew my third batch ever, and want to venture out on my own. My last batch was Ed's Kolsch, and I don't want to waste such a great yeast cake, so I'm thinking about pouring this on the Kolsch yeast.
Since as I said before I'm completely new to the brewing world, I'd like you more experienced guys to poke holes in this for me.

Sounds good to me. I have used Kölsch yeast for pale ales with great success and have reused the yeast through several generations. I wish you luck and hope you will let us know how it turns out.

Are you aiming for a particular style? Assuming this is a 5.5 gallon batch and ~65% BH efficiency, this would be a little dark for another Kolsch and a little light for an Altbier. What particular strain are you using? Since it is a Kolsch, it would benefit from a larger or an extended cold crash. Also your IBU's are around 55 - 60 and your malt bill is low, this is going to be pretty bitter, well into the IPA range. Also if you are shooting for an IPA, it would benefit from an aroma hop addition or two.

I'm shooting for an APA out of it.
The yeast is a WLP029.
According to BeerSmith it should be 40-45 IBUs, am I missing something?
also, will cold crashing affect my carb levels since I'm bottling?

Thanks guys keep the advice/thoughts coming!

I missed the whirlpool on the 15 minute hop addition (so ignore the aroma addition comment as well). Excluding that addition altogether, I still get an IBU of around 52. Now, I have assumed things like your batch and boil size (5.5 and 6.5 gallons respectively) so that has an affect on your OG and boil gravity that will affect these numbers. Your numbers should be closer since you do not assume these. It looks good as an APA. I will still suggest a good cold crash to clear it up. Also, did you ferment that strain on the Kolsch at 62? WL guidelines on that strain:

Optimum Ferment Temp.
65-69°F (Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation.)

If the Kolsch fermented well at that temp., you should be ok with the 2nd generation. If you do cold crash it, I would give it a diacetyl rest beforehand.

It does sound good even if the IBU's are a bit higher. Let us know how it turns out.

It might take a little longer to carbonate if you cold crash, but it will. You could add some bottling yeast to hurry it up. When I do bottle, I add Muntons Premium Gold to the bucket with the bottling sugar. It will make a harder cake at the bottom of the bottle and will help keep the yeast out of the pour.

Well I guess this one will have to wait until another day. I cold crashed my Kolsch, but didn't think about expansion/contraction with Temp changes. Long Story Short... I sucked about 16-24 oz of water out of my blow-off bucket. I ended up with a very nicely layered carboy with a good yeast cake, a nice amber colored Kolsch, and a pale ugly layer of star san and beer mixture. I racked into my bottling bucket from the bottom and lost about 1/2 gallon or so of beer by avoiding sucking up the sanitizer-beer mixture. I didn't know how it would effect my yeast cake so I tossed it. I figured it was better to just possibly ruin one batch (this one) than ruin another one as well. What a way to ruin bottling/brew day! So I'm brewing the above beer with WLP001. Will still give updates on how it turns out.

Back