How bad is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomFoolery

Reaction score
So we are brewing an american barleywine today. We had the mash going when the propane went out. I thought we'd be alright to extend the mash from 60 to 90 minutes while I replace our propane tank so we could heat the strike water. Well I got a flat on the way and my brew buddy had to come help. So our mash ended up around 2 hrs. 15 minutes. We are going along as if nothing happened, but i'm curious as to how this is going to affect our beer.

I don't know if it matters, but heres the grain bill:

14.5# british 2 row
3# munich
12 oz crystal 40
4 oz chocolate

thanks in advance

2 things come to mind:

1- assuming your temp dropped quite a bit during the mash, you will end up with a more fermentable wort than you intended. I have never brewed a BW, so ask someone else, but in such a big beer I doubt you are going to have issues with lack of body from a highly fermentable wort.

2- if bacteria were present, that might be enough time for them to sour the mash. I really doubt this happened, though. Someone who has ended up with a sour mash, please chime in.

thanks for the reply. I thought about there being more fermentables, but if thats my biggest problem, i'm okay with it. I was afraid I would be introducing something I didn't know about that would massively affect the taste. thanks again, if anyone else has input, i'd love to hear it.

also, we were thinking about hopping this one up quite a bit:

3 oz Columbus (14.5 AA) @ 60
1 oz Simcoe (12.2 AA) @ 20
1 oz Simcoe (12.2 AA) @ FO

plus currently undetermined dry hopping.
any comments on that?

I would say the first hour had a much more significant impact on your fermentability and enzyme activity than the second. I've done several mashes that extended into the 3 hour range just because that timing was more convenient and it's never negatively impacted my results.

Regarding the bacteria - I'm pretty sure that after about 30 minutes at 145F you've pasteurized your mash, meaning unless something manages to crawl in, you're not going to have any infection issue. Regardless, the boil will kill everything anyway before it makes it into your beer.

I know amalyze will denature at higher temps, but I dunno if it de-activates at lower temperatures (<140F) or just slows waaay down. did you happen to check your temp when you got back? its either gunna be unaffected or just have higher potential attenuation

I;d dry hop it with a simcoe/columbus mix

The drop in temp wouldn't really affect it. Most enzymes will be denatured, they will not come back. Mash as long as you want, within reason, the worst that will happen is complete conversion.

Back