How are Liberty hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how they like these hops? I've searched a bunch and all I can find is some descriptions not much info from people that have actually used them.

I've used it a few times for a little spice in barleywines, strong ales and scotch ales. Decent enough when used in a nice combination with other hops

I have also used them. They can be great with the right combination.

Roger

IME the following description from Wikipedia is pretty much spot on:

Liberty
American 1983 cross between Hallertauer Mittlefrüh (USDA 21397) and downy mildew resistant male (USDA 64035M). Spicy (cinnamon), resiny, and slightly sweet. It is an early ripening variety and similar in technical data and aroma to Hallertau Mittelfrueh. Recommended for German/American lagers. Substitutes: Mount Hood, Hallertau, Crystal.

Liberty is my favorite Hallertau Mittelfrueh-derived triploid hop. If you like the hop flavor found in Sam Adams Boston Lager, you will love Liberty. Of the four Hallertau Mittelfrueh-derived triploid hop cultivars that were released by Dr. Al Haunold (the other three are Mt. Hood, Ultra, and Crystal), Liberty comes the closest to matching the real thing. However, it does so while bringing its own thing to the party. Liberty is best used in pale to very pale beers. It's a great all pale base malt, single hop beer hop.

Interesting, thanks for the info guys. I was thinking of making an amber ale with glacier to bitter and and ounce of amarillo and two ounces of liberty as flavor hops, do you think this would be a good combo?? I haven't bought any hops yet so I could definitely switch them out they just sounded interesting to me.

I have a brown ale with equal amounts of liberty and perle at 60, 30, and 15 minutes with an overall IBU around 26. It's a brown ale, so the chocolate nutty malt character comes through much more, but I am very pleased with the hop profile. This combination worked out well for me. My original plan was to make an amber with only 2-row, victory, and just a touch of chocolate malt, but decided last minute to add an extra quarter pound of chocolate and turned it into a brown ale. My next batch will probably be an amber with liberty and perle.

Back