How about some Swedish Glögg för Christmas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluent

Reaction score
Glögg is a Swedish drink for a cold winter evening (in July for instance if you’re in Australia;). It is heated, spiced and sweetened wine, a bit like the German Glühwein. Below is a recipe, though maybe the measurements don’t make sense outside Sweden, and some of the ingredients may not be standard stock. But it will come out pretty neat even if it’s not exactly like the original, so the details doesn’t really matter (it's the alcohole we're after, right)!

What to use:
3 sticks cinnamon
2-3 pieces dried Seville orange peel
2-3 pieces dried ginger (not ground)
some 10 cardamom seeds (whole)
some 10 cloves (whole)
1 cup (2.5dl) water (optional -mouse or man?)
Sugar...the amount is up to you. Ether you go for sweet or you go for slightly dry (sweet is nice thogh...).

1 bottle of (cheap) red or white wine

Some of these things are hard to find in some places, such as dried whole ginger (and how big is “a piece” anyway?). When in doubt, use fresh rather than powdered dry, as the powder makes it nigh well impossible to sieve/filter it all at – the whole thing just clogs up. If you can’t find dried peels of Seville orange (this has been known to happen), it is possible to substitute a smaller quantity of the thin orange part of the peel of an ordinary orange. In the end you’ll probably have substituted just about everything, but that will work too, I’ve tried it:)

What to do:
Heat spices and water to boiling, then turn off heat and let stand overnight

Sieve/filter out the spices

Add the wine

Add sugar to taste (that should be a minimum of one deciliter (=2/5 of a cup); we’re talking Swedish cooking here!). You probably have to heat it first so that the sugar dissolves, then see if you want to add some more

The traditional way to add shugar is to put a fair amount of shuger cubes on a sifth and ignite and burn the alcohole until the shugar has melted/caramelized into the glögg (but that kind of dagerous stuff -let alone a wase of perfectly good booze- so I usually just add the shugar and be done with it)

Heat it all up. Note that alcohol evaporates at 72 degrees Celsius (or is it 78?) so you want to be a bit careful!

Some naughty people would spike the whole thing with a splash of vodka... (optional, but not bad at all...)

Serve hot with raisins and blanched almonds (dropped into the cups after serving). Glögg is normally served in tiny cups (the cups from your Turkish/Japanese/etc. souvenir tea set will be perfect), and some tiny spoons are useful for fishing out the raisins and almonds.

The socio-cultural context for glögg is either as a pre-dinner drink in the winter, or as a separate event, usually at about 4 or 5 pm, a bit like a cocktail party. On the side, pepparkakor ("chirstmas"/cinnamon spiced crackers) is the kind of thing to nibble, but you’ll have to look for the recipe for them somewhere else)!

The extract keeps very well (that’s why them vikings used to sail all the way to Indonesia to get spices – they work as preservatives), so you can make more and keep it in a bottle, handy for whenever you fancy a glögg on a cold evening (which is probably either about four times in a season or it's like every darn evening -it's up to you to decide...); anyway, it will keep for at least a year.

One tip for the beer drinking crowd is to cook the spices with about a pint of good homebrew or mead -that's the mideval way of doing it...

/
H

While I can't say that I have had your Swedish Glögg or any German Glühwein, I can say that I have had something almost identical - Hypocras. My family usually makes this around Christmas time and in large quantities as it lasts forever and gets better with age.

Here is a decent recipe for hypocras, though a little different from the family recipe - we use sweet-dried orange peel, not so much pepper, and serve it warm.

Medieval Hypocras at Hattonchâtel

Good stuff!

I love Glogg. Wassail is another favorite this time of year. Eggnog too, you know the stuff you make with eggs, not Xanthan Gum.

I also love glogg. It may not be the authentic way of making it but using port instead of plain red wine works really well, it has quite a bit of sweetness so you wont need as much sugar and it tends to have more alcohol too.

Yeah, but you have to add your alcohol to that stuff. My in-laws are Swedish, and they used to make Glogg before I started coming to family gatherings. We are having a get-together at my house a week or two after Christmas, and we were planing on doing mulled wine, and cider using mulling spices from Penzeys Spices. I may have to re-think this and see if I can find my grandfather in-laws Glogg recipe.

Okay, I've just got to toss this in there, but they sell Glogg at...wait for it...IKEA!

Oh....noooo -not....IKEA?!? That's not really "glögg", that's "IKEA low alcohole glogg". Much better doing it on your own...

H

Technically it's Norwegian, but as I am having one right now and I concur -it's a pretty damn good beer...

One of the few good things with the redicilous Swedish alcohole politics, keeping liquir stores monopolized by the government while also beeing a member of the european comunity... -I as a consumer can order *any* alcoholic beverage that is up for sale anywhere in the world -at my local (government controled) liquir store "systembolaget" and they are *obliged* to import it and sell it to me to a competitive price... I like! Just now I am looking at an empty bottle of oak aged yeti imperial stout from great divine while sipping a Nøgne Juløl (christmas ale).

H

Back