Hot fermentation with WY1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrWill

Reaction score
I recently put a batch of American Amber Ale into the fermenter, but had a serious temperature control disaster while I was away. We lost power and temperatures might have reached as high as mid 70s F with Wyeast American Ale II for almost a week. What sorts of esters and off flavours can I expect?

Will

How long was the beer fermenting before the temp went up? If it didn't get hot for a few days, you're likely mostly fine. If it got real hot during active fermentation, you may get some fruitiness and perhaps some higher alcohol formation (solventy-ness).

Yeah the key is when the power went out. If it wasn't until the fourth day or later your fine since the majority of esters are formed within the first couple days of fermentation.

Unfortunately it's impossible to say since I wasn't there. I'm kegging this weekend so I will let you know; I'm braced for esters and hoping the fusel alcohols development is minimal.

Thanks to all for help. Let's hope it isn't a dumper-bräu.

Will

Back