Hot fermentation temps late in the process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I made a Russian Imperial Stout 12 days ago, pitching plenty of healthy yeast and slowly ramped up my fermentation temps in the ferm fridge from 67 - 71 F to help get full attenuation. In checking today I noticed my temp probe came unattached from the carboy and subsequently my chamber temp climbed up to 88 F. I don't think it was like that more than a couple days. Last I checked fermentation activity had really slowed (no gravity reading).

Worry or not? I've always heard temperature matters most the first couple days of fermentation. I'll take a gravity reading when I get some equipment sanitized. Cooling back down now. I'll take the sample for fusels.

So you are saying that it was at least a week before the temperature went up to 88? I think you are probably 100% fine.

I wouldn't worry it, the yeast has already done its job so the temp swing surely wouldn't impact it significantly (if at all) imo

Back