Hot beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I am brainstorming the idea of creating a beer that is supposed to be drunken hot. Kind of a winter beer. I would really appreciate some input from the community on this topic.

The general idea is creating a beer with an abv between 6 and 7 % to compensate the alcohol loss during the heating so that it ends up around 5% in the glass.

I thought about ginger, star anis, cinnamon, cardamom.

Maybe cloves? Maybe old Germanic herbs like mugwort, sweet gale, yarrow and meadow sweet?

I am also thinking about making this one a braggot. Maybe with more alcohol and then to dilute it with hot water afterwards. It should be a herbal winter warmer. Maybe it would be also nice to add some honey directly before drinking it.

Any additional input would be really appreciated.

Cheers from Nepal!
M.

Don't carbonate it.

I did have hot beer one time, Glueh Kriek served hot at Cascade. Pretty amazing!

Don't carbonate it.

I did have hot beer one time, Glueh Kriek served hot at Cascade. Pretty amazing!
I thought about slightly carbonating it in the bottle to get rid of excessive oxygen, but I also think that this one shouldn't have much bubbles.

Were there additional spices or other unusual ingredients in the beer you had?

What about doing something really malty, like a bock or doppelbock with an intentionally high FG, and then mulling it like wine with spices as desired? Actually, I've still got a dozen or so bottles of an underattenuated, undercarbed doppelbock that would be perfect for some mulled beer experimentation...

Of course, there's a non-negligible chance that mulled beer will be totally gross, but it's probably worth a try.

I think a Stone vertical was kind of a chai-spiced ale. I don't remember liking the brew, but perhaps the spices in a darker warm toddy.

Probably my buzzed-brain just kicking in, but thinking a cask-aged milk stout with a heavy addition of earl-grey

Were there additional spices or other unusual ingredients in the beer you had?
Clove, cinnamon, & nutmeg. Served with an orange wedge in the glass.

I've been thinking about how to serve a hot alcoholic beverage since I've also had spiced alcoholic cider served hot (Rev Nat's Winter Abbey Spice). The best way I've seen is to use a hot plate/ mug warmer designed for beverages. Just put a bottle on it.
Or use a crock pot if you want more than one at a time.

Update: Mulled Doppelbock is not good. Haha!

I guess I didn't give it a very good chance, as I hacked a bunch of things I wouldn't do mulling wine, but it was not a good drink - I poured it out after braving a few ounces.

The caveats: for lack of having the right stuff on hand, I used powdered cassia (very close to cinnamon and much easier to source here in China) instead of whole bark, I tossed in a tiny bit of powdered nutmeg (not a good move), fairly fresh tangerine peel instead of dried orange peel, and a couple whole cloves. I also didn't add any liquor, where with mulled wine I add cheap brandy to keep the ABV up over a 10-15 minute simmer. In this case, I just got it up to temp without a long simmer which would have left me with an NA mulled Doppelbock. It was pretty bad straight out, so I added some sugar (probably not enough) as I do with mulled wine, but while that added back some perceived body, it was still a dull, unpalateable drink.

I'm not saying it can't be done - if I had done everything the same way as I usually do mulled wine (including the liquor additions), it might have been a bit more drinkable, but the lack of acidity would be something to overcome in a straight mulled wine conversion. The Glühkriek @RPh_Guy had would have worked much better since it's already fruity and acidic like a wine.

Anyway, good luck with the search. I hope my suggestion and then subsequent shootdown of my own suggestion helps, or at least entertains.

I've mulled sweet cider before. I'm not sure if the same process could apply to beer, but here you go:
For adding the spices just before serving I used large quantities of whole spices (cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, sliced oranges), waaaaay more than you would use in beer. A few sticks and a tablespoonful of cloves per gallon. Add spices and bring to serving temperature, around 115-140°F and let sit covered for ~30min. Add rum to taste if desired.

Most "cinnamon" in the US is cassia. I only ever see cassia or saigon in stores.

Last edited:
Most "cinnamon" in the US is cassia. I only ever see cassia or saigon in stores.
I had no idea. The stuff I buy here is way rougher and thicker than a cinnamon stick you'd buy in the States, and they call it by a different Chinese name. I've bought the other type here before, the 'cinnamon' as opposed to 'cassia', and it was definitely different, but not different enough to justify the tenfold price difference.

I had no idea. The stuff I buy here is way rougher and thicker than a cinnamon stick you'd buy in the States, and they call it by a different Chinese name. I've bought the other type here before, the 'cinnamon' as opposed to 'cassia', and it was definitely different, but not different enough to justify the tenfold price difference.
If it's ceylon, its worth it.

If it's ceylon, its worth it.
Most of it is just imported from American supermarket aisles, so if that's mostly cassia, then it's probably cassia.

What I don't get is how the majority of cinnamon sticks in the States look nothing like the cassia bark I buy in China, but now I'm hearing they're apparently also cassia. How's that work? The taste is also distinctly different, though not by enough to change my purchasing habits (just as imitation vanilla is A-OK with me even though it's not the same as proper vanilla extract).

Maybe just a different method of harvesting it ? ... I imagine there could be terroir differences affecting taste, like any other plant.
types_of_cinnamon_416.jpg

And thread derailed.

Looks like you're getting the outer part of the stem and the bark, whereas the inner part of the stem goes to richer markets? Probably the same plant though.

That's the cassia variety. I would steer away from it, and go for the ceylon every time, especially for cooking and adding to beer. Ceylon is less harsh than cassia, more flavourful, less astringent, the overall taste and feeling of it is so much smoother. Cassia is really " raw ", unrefined by comparison to the ceylon counterpart.

The only hot beer I've tried is https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/floff/238976/425495/

Not very good, but OK for the colder days of winter.

This might be one of those recipes that calls for bittering with hop alternatives. Hot, hoppy beer sounds gross. Hot mulled beer OTOH sounds delish. Are you guy's still bittering with hops? WTF is FTC when we need him??

This might be one of those recipes that calls for bittering with hop alternatives. Hot, hoppy beer sounds gross. Hot mulled beer OTOH sounds delish. Are you guy's still bittering with hops? WTF is FTC when we need him??
Problem is that without hops it almost certainly turns at least a bit sour and that does not really fit my idea of a hot beer.

there have been really good comments here. I think I will go for a 7% brew with lower ibus, about 15, I will try to keep it a bit sweeter and maltier than my usual brews and I will add some cinnamon, ginger, star anis, cardamom, cloves and possibly some mugwort.

I'll heat it up and then try adding some honey to make it a bit sweeter. Maybe orange peel will also end up in there, but ok don't know yet.

I am also not 100% sure wether or not to throw it all into the boil after mashing or to do it when heating the beer before drinking. I find the idea of fermenting the spices more interesting, so I will try it this way. I will only make 4l first, just to make sure it tastes good before doing bigger batches.

We used to do this in college as a penalty during our weekly croquet matches. When your croquet ball left the field and entered the road, you had to drink a "hot and frothy". Our recipe was simple: A 1 gallon jug of Milwaukee's Best Light and the hot Alabama sun for four hours.

What do we drink hot? Coffee, tea, mulled wine, Cocoa. Doesn't have to replicate what we are used to, but may help to start.

I think there are 2 routes:

1) try to replicate the mulled wine; spices, alcohol, and less malty taste.

2) try to create a malty, chocolate drink; milk stout, or Porter with vanilla, and maybe some bourbon or rum.

2) try to create a malty, chocolate drink; milk stout, or Porter with vanilla, and maybe some bourbon or rum.
I like this Idea! It has been quite a few years, but I remember enjoying either a hot buttered rum or a Tom & Jerry on a cold winter day. Maybe find a hot cocktail that you lke, then shape the brew around it. Probably a Belgian style or similar heavy beer that can stand up to some aging.

I like this Idea! It has been quite a few years, but I remember enjoying either a hot buttered rum or a Tom & Jerry on a cold winter day. Maybe find a hot cocktail that you lke, then shape the brew around it. Probably a Belgian style or similar heavy beer that can stand up to some aging.
I like this logic, imagine a hot toddy made with hard cider and a Belgian quad or a barleywine..... could be fantastic. Reminds me of English wassail or lambswool, made with fermented cider, ale, and roast apples. When we lived in Germany we tried a few hot alcoholic drinks, one of which was a simmering pot of cider, wine and roast apples. The alcohol would have boiled off so it was served in terra cotta mugs with a fresh shot of stroh rum or brandy; the texture of the dissolving apple pomace gives an interesting 'wooly' mouthfeel to the drink and immediately explains how it earned the name 'lambswool'. I don't recall whether ale was included in the recipe but I could imagine a weizenbock would contribute a malty backbone.

What do we drink hot? Coffee, tea, mulled wine, Cocoa. Doesn't have to replicate what we are used to, but may help to start.

I think there are 2 routes:

1) try to replicate the mulled wine; spices, alcohol, and less malty taste.

Interesting way of thinking!

Never thought about the chocolate/coffee way, but it certainly sounds like a good idea.

The only thing I don't agree with is the reduced maltieness. Maltieness fits with hot drinks, I tried hot beer with ginger and honey several times when I had a cold and I really liked the taste.

Both routes you are describing sound valid to me, but for now I want to focus on recipes workout additional alcohol from spirits.

A hot vanilla/chocolate porter really also sounds interesting. I keep this one in mind.

On another note, I read about this beer for which the very thick and doughy mash gots baked for an hour or so and then used. The whole thing gets caramelized af and although I never tried it,u think this might also be a really good base for a hot beer.

... But I actually want to try this one without spices first to see where I am at with this one.

I like this logic, imagine a hot toddy made with hard cider and a Belgian quad or a barleywine..... could be fantastic. Reminds me of English wassail or lambswool, made with fermented cider, ale, and roast apples. When we lived in Germany we tried a few hot alcoholic drinks, one of which was a simmering pot of cider, wine and roast apples. The alcohol would have boiled off so it was served in terra cotta mugs with a fresh shot of stroh rum or brandy; the texture of the dissolving apple pomace gives an interesting 'wooly' mouthfeel to the drink and immediately explains how it earned the name 'lambswool'. I don't recall whether ale was included in the recipe but I could imagine a weizenbock would contribute a malty backbone.
Woaaaaa that sounds incredible delicious to me!

What about doing something really malty, like a bock or doppelbock with an intentionally high FG, and then mulling it like wine with spices as desired? Actually, I've still got a dozen or so bottles of an underattenuated, undercarbed doppelbock that would be perfect for some mulled beer experimentation...

Of course, there's a non-negligible chance that mulled beer will be totally gross, but it's probably worth a try.
My 1st go at an all grain batch was a mulled saison. despite my shortcomings in experience it roughly turned out how I wanted, despite some obvious flaws. My two cents, Mull On!

Interesting way of thinking!

Never thought about the chocolate/coffee way, but it certainly sounds like a good idea.

The only thing I don't agree with is the reduced maltieness. Maltieness fits with hot drinks, I tried hot beer with ginger and honey several times when I had a cold and I really liked the taste.

Both routes you are describing sound valid to me, but for now I want to focus on recipes workout additional alcohol from spirits.

A hot vanilla/chocolate porter really also sounds interesting. I keep this one in mind.

On another note, I read about this beer for which the very thick and doughy mash gots baked for an hour or so and then used. The whole thing gets caramelized af and although I never tried it,u think this might also be a really good base for a hot beer.

... But I actually want to try this one without spices first to see where I am at with this one.
Since your spice's will probably have to go in secondary anyway you can spilt a five gallon batch up into five one gallons for secondary and change around the mixtures.

Since your spice's will probably have to go in secondary anyway you can spilt a five gallon batch up into five one gallons for secondary and change around the mixtures.
I thought more about throwing them into the boil mainly as powder and never to take them out. A lot of those herbs need heat to extract the components I want in the final product.

And if the subtle flavoured get thrown out by the recapping co2, I could still throw in some extra herbs when heating the beer.

Back