Hose on gas post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landrer

Reaction score
I was just given a corny from a friend. It has a hose attached to the gas post that runs to the bottom of the keg. Would having the CO2 entering the beer from the bottom up absorb faster? Has anyone here ever used this method.

Some people attach the gas line to the beer-out post in attempt to do the same thing, however, you really aren't allowing it to absorb "better". The CO2 will bubble up to the top of the keg faster than it can be absorbed, so there really isn't much benefit.

I haven't ever heard of the idea to put a hose on the CO2 line, but I suppose it would work just the same as connecting to the beer-out post. Maybe attaching a diffusion stone to the end of the hose may help, but there really isn't any real benefits over simply attaching the hoses the normal way.

Remove the hose! The risks are more than the benefits. As stated above, the CO2 will rise to the top fast so it won't really be absorbed any better. The risk of using the hose that way is that if the keg has a higher pressure than your regulator does when you attach the QD, it will shoot beer back into the regulator (unless you have really good backflow preventers).

I was just given a corny from a friend. It has a hose attached to the gas post that runs to the bottom of the keg. Would having the CO2 entering the beer from the bottom up absorb faster? Has anyone here ever used this method.
Your friend could have removed the carbonation stone.

Force carbin is done that way by many micros and small breweries who don't use the natural carbonation method (residual sugars).
The carbonation stone is at the bottom of the tank and the CO2 bubbles through the beer.

Since I use Cornies I do have a similar set-up with a stone attached to to the gas tube.
Keg_Inside_Normal_Sm.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Latest posts

Back