Hose Nozzle Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I am looking at hooking up a hose nozzle (i.e one that sprays, streams, etc.) like one would use for the garden. Does anyone have any suggestions for Lead free, brewing safe ones?

Thanks

I am looking at hooking up a hose nozzle (i.e one that sprays, streams, etc.) like one would use for the garden. Does anyone have any suggestions for Lead free, brewing safe ones?

Thanks

I know there are plastic ones, but I can't find the search sting for it, and I'm to lazy to look through the Morebeer catalogue. If you can't find one you can make one yourself by getting a SS barb with 1/2" male NPT (or whatever), and a closed cap to go onto the threads which you drill some holes in, so it will spray.

CA has lead-safe requirements which is basically brass with little to no lead. Otherwise its aluminum, if they still make them, or stainless, which is expensive.

If the water isnt acidic its not really a concern, just empty the hose after each use.

He's not looking to aerate, he's looking for something like a spray nozzle you'd use in a garden.

Like this:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i.....2....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0i30.VQibFs6ZxF4

I can't imagine that any of those would have an appreciable impact on the beer. Pick one. They're all over the place, like so:

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?sf_categoryHierarchy=&search=spray+hose+nozzle

Or like so:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=aps&field-keywords=garden+hose+spray+nozzle

thank you all for your replies and yes Mongoose33 you are correct. I am looking for a hose spray nozzle taht will be used for cleaning and filling kettles/HLT.

I was most concerned about the Lead and/or "plastic" taste, although i think most are lead free these days.

Aha! I mistunderstood 100%. What kind of hose will you use for that? About the plastic?

I can't imagine you're going to pick up much of anything from water running through a plastic nozzle, or a metal one. If you let the water sit there for a long time, maybe possibly something might get into the water, but if it had been me thinking about this, it never would have crossed my mind to wonder about something like that.

And as gently as I can, I will express some curiousity as to whether this is a side effect, not of a plastic nozzle, but of living in Kalifornia, where there are bogeymen behind every door.

Aha! I mistunderstood 100%. What kind of hose will you use for that? About the plastic?

Below is my response from Camco. I was looking at the Camco 22823 e on Amazon. I asked if it could handle hot water from the faucet for cleaning. Seems to be a good hose for the purpose of cleaning and filling kettles/HLT

Hey Brian, you will be just fine using the hose under those conditions. Thank you.

Rick Godsey

Camco Customer Service

7500 Business Park Drive

Greensboro, N.C. 27409

800.334.2004 (x)28107

Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:28 PM
To: CamcoInfo <[email protected]>
Subject: Camco.Net: New submission from Contact Us

Part Number

Camco 22823 e

Date of Purchase

01/11/2017

Where did you purchase this product?

will be amazon, but can this hose be used with hot water from a hot water heater. NOT boiling temperatures. Looking to use it to clean homebrewing equipment and need a hose that can handle hot water, but not boiling. Just the hot water like that comes out of a kitchen faucet.

How did you hear about this product?

search

You didn't ask if it's good for potable water at higher temps as you said you also said you'll be filling HLT and such with it. Anyhow, I envy every person which has a hot water tap in their brewery environment. I only have cold and have to heat up every time I want something clean.

You didn't ask if it's good for potable water at higher temps as you said you also said you'll be filling HLT and such with it. Anyhow, I envy every person which has a hot water tap in their brewery environment. I only have cold and have to heat up every time I want something clean.

Well the hot water would be for cleaning only. It's a potable drinking water hose for RV's. I don't use hot water to heat since it comes from the hot water heater which can have mineral tastes.

Well the hot water would be for cleaning only. It's a potable drinking water hose for RV's. I don't use hot water to heat since it comes from the hot water heater which can have mineral tastes.

Right. I understood you like you wanted to fill kettles with hot water to get a jumpstart on the heating.

let me say this, once again, with a bit more explanation-

the state of CA certifies brass to be "lead-safe" which is basically so low in lead that the nannies in sacramento will allow it.

but (as i understand it) that certification is typically for residential usage- i.e. cold or warm water. for "hot" water as in commercial applications, or brewing, its not certified. doesnt mean its dangerous, just not certified at those temps.

there are plenty of industrial, food service and restaurant places that sell high temp spray nozzles. they are approved for use with high heat- either usda or fda approval.

but it'll cost you. so just decide whether you really need it. your location says "bel air" which im assuming is the one in LA? if you're on municipal water (outside of flint, mi) then you're likely fine. if your well has acidic water, thats different.

so as long as your water is alkaline, and its not sitting in the hose for days or weeks between brews, then you're probably going a bit overboard. i'd say a "lead safe" is perfectly fine. i would avoid plastic.

if you're just using cold water, then pretty much any nozzle on the market is fine.

Back