Horrible f¥€king day!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1226

Reaction score
I'm not sure I even wanna say this cuz it's gonna hurt so much! Ok... I legged a very special brew yesterday for a very good friend of mine. The keg was an extra one so it doesn't go into my keezer with the four taps but the freezer I use for fermentations. So it takes a picnic tap and separate gas and everything. Just explaining so that we're on the same page. Anyway, today I go into the garage to check on the brew and the keg is completely EMPTY! WTF? The gas was connected. The tap was connected. Nothing was wedged or in a bad position. There's plenty of room in the freezer. The tap was still where I left it, on top of the keg. All the brew leaked out the bottom of the freezer and down the driveway! Does anyone have any idea what could've happened? FML!!!😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Before I had faucets installed, my wife once closed the lid on a picnic tap that drained most of a Pale Ale fairly quickly. That would be my first guess (that the tap was pressed, not that my wife did it).

Sorry to hear it.

Before I had faucets installed, my wife once closed the lid on a picnic tap that drained most of a Pale Ale fairly quickly. That would be my first guess (that the tap was pressed, not that my wife did it).

Sorry to hear it.

Yeah, I believe somehow the tap was depressed...or your wife just down right hates me!

I have had that happen more than I would like to admit. Suffice it to say that it is never a good feeling to walk into your garage and have it smell malty. Check your fittings, especially if they are MFL. I had one of my new MFL fittings leak out an entire keg even with the gas off. It turns out that I did not tighten it down properly. One day, the keg was golden and flowing nicely through my new shiny perlick tap. Two days later the keg was gone. It was like some strange angry beer god wrath. The only thing that was left was some beer slush around the fitting. The rest was on the floor of my garage.

Is the beer out post damaged? Could be a bad O-Ring. Look at it this way, it could've leaked out into your indoor kegerator, overflowed and leaked into your basement. I had this happen to me. I am pretty sure the O-Ring was the culprit. Pisses me off too because i should've known better and have a whole bag of them. Least it was a Helles and didn't make a total mess. I'm sure there is dried beer residue stuck in the innards of my home that'll be there forever.

TD

A bad or damaged (out) post o-ring can drain a keg quick. But if you filled and pressurized with water and no leak was found, :confused:

Wonder if the picnic tap failed and didn't hold the pressure. I had one once that leaked a bit. If I recall it was just not tightened up, which fixed the problem. However, I don't think they are necessarily reliable and probably the more pressure in the keg the less likely they'll hold up. Hope you figure out what happened so you don't have to go through this again.

Been there done that. Mine was a wind-blown cardboard box that opened a keezer faucet on my back deck. When you lose beer it always is the best batch in awhile

Back