Horrible brew night...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I recently finished building a fermentation chamber so I could try doing some lagers. I brewed up my first lager last month and thought everything was going OK until I checked the specific gravity before racking into my serving keg. It read 1.036 which is much higher than I had expected so I decided I would try and re-pitch the yeast using yeast from a starter I had planned on using for another lager I was brewing this weekend.

No big deal I thought. I would just make another starter and brew the next day. Well, that was yesterday. The day I had promised to take my kids to the water park. Fortunately we got home from the water park at a decent hour and although very buzzed and nearly exhausted I decided I still had time to brew.

The grains were already milled so I wasn't expecting for it to take long, that's where the real nightmare began.

I got my strike water up to temp, mashed in, set my timer, and walked away. About 45 minutes went by and I decided to go check on the temp. The temp was about 15 degrees cooler than I had set my RIMS to be. At first I thought something was wrong with my system and then I realized I hadn't plugged in the heater! GRRRRRR!

My RIMS was mainly designed to just recirculate the mash and maintain temps (low wattage cartridge heater) so I scooped out some of the mash and boiled it in my boil kettle. Somehow I managed to hit my mash temp perfectly without anymore issues. I decided I would basically just start the mash over at this point.

Luckilly, I decided to do a "no sparge" with this recipe so everything went smooth after that until....remember the first lager I had to re-pitch because of a stuck fermentation? Yup, I can only fit one fermentation bucket in it. Now what?

I decided the first lager might already be FUBAR so I decided to re-arrage the shelves in my chamber remove the thermal-well and airlock and just stack the new brew on the old one.

At this point it is laaaate! I am beat, I have been drinking beer in the sun all day and desperately want to go to bed but there is still clean-up to do. Finally, everything was cleaned up and I went to bed.

I did however learn from this horrific day.

1. Always verify the heater for your RIMS is plugged in and working.

2. Always make sure you have room in your fermentation chamber for your next brew before you mill your grains and make the starter.

3. Never drink all day in the hot sun and expect to make good beer later that night.

Who knows? Maybe both brews will turn out fine, or not. I guess only time will tell from here.

I've never had temp issues with my mash before nor have I ever had to deal with a stuck fermentation, hopefully I handled both situations correctly and I'll have some decent lager to drink for the summer.

Fingers crossed.

Having had a bad brew day in the not to distant past (and having worse temp control issues than you did from the sounds of things) it sound like you'll make beer. It might not be the one you were expecting, and it might not be great but it'll probably be drinkable and better than you'd expect. Mine wasn't great but it wasn't awful, better than I expected anyway. That being said, I'd not want to (personally) try firing up a whole brew system after drinking all day in the sun (ha, I live in Newfoundland, like the sun comes here). Maybe something like an extract batch but running RIMS or HERMS would just not do it for me unless I had some caffeinated brews nearby, I know I'd bugger it up unless it were totally automated.

hopefully the beers will turn out ok. Brew days from hell are a pain to deal with. If you think about it there's so many variables that could go wrong on any given brew day we're lucky it doesn't happen more often.

Refractometer...oh ****. I just started using a refractometer and forgot about the alcohol correction.

I'll bet that first lager is done and I re pitched for nothing. Grrrr

Time to get the hydrometer back out.

Still seem to be having a problems or just plain bad luck with lagers. I checked the SG of the beer I suspected to have a stuck fermentation with my hydrometer and it reads about the same as my refractometer, which seems very weird to me considering there should be some alcohol present.

Being I have already re-pitched I am going to let it finish fermenting at room temp and see what happens.

My latest lager was chugging along fine until i noticed yesterday that somehow my BrewPi was set to "OFF" rather than running the temperature profile. The only thing I can think of is maybe when I had the webpage pulled up on my phone I accidentally selected "OFF".

I think the Lager Gods are unhappy with me. So far I am 0-2 on making lagers.

Funny thing about horrible brew days...sometimes, it can yield a DELICIOUS beer.

For instance, my last brew that I did was SUPPOSED to be a Coffee Mocha Porter...I had all the grain measured out, and the SRM calculated, mash temps were perfect, etc...and then I noticed how light the beer looked compared to how dark a porter should be.

And then it made it to the keg...and my GOD....was it delicious. A fusion of caramel malts, slight coffee notes, huge chocolate in the end, and the silky smoothness from some oats I added during the mash. A truly spectactular beer, one that I will certainly be repeating from now on. I was taken aback...I never would have thought that a slight screw up like that could yield a delicious beer that I would want to make AGAIN!

So I guess my advice to you is just wait and see what you have...don't shun any particular batch just because you did something wrong in the procedure. For all you know, it could turn out to be a delicious brew. Just make sure you TAKE NOTES....TONS OF NOTES. That way you'll be able to be consistent when you want to make it again.

Cheers, and safe brewing! :)

Sooo. Finally got the courage to open the fermenter this weekend. Being it was fermenting at 80f I figured I was going to open the lid and be knocked out by the putrid smell of funk. Instead I got a whiff of BEER! Not only did it smell OK, it tasted delicious. It's still a little sweet and needs more time to attenuate but I think my Red Stripe clone might turn out just fine.

As far as the other beer with the stuck fermentation...well the SG dropped a few more points but still has a long way to go. I'm not giving up on it yet. I may re pitch again just for giggles and see what happens. Maybe I can save it.

A Red Stripe clone fermented at 80° F? While you may very well end up with a delicious beer, I highly doubt anyone will confuse it with an actual Red Stripe. :)

Back