Hornindal Kveik in american white ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWood

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? I've never used this yeast but purchased it to do a quick light beer while my fermentation fridge is occupied with a lager. The citrus esters I hear about would go nice with my blue moonish american white ale, right? I usually use 001 for this recipe. Thanks for any feedback.

In my experience Omega Hornindal fermented at 95°F produces lots of delicious tropical pineapple and mango flavors.

I'd suggest to skip any flavoring adjuncts (orange peel) and avoid late hop additions or dry hops. Ferment hot
Let the yeast shine and you'll have an amazing beer.

Cheers!

Good advice. Thanks! I wonder about the coriander. Brewing Friday so I have a couple days to stew on it. I'm looking forward to trying a new yeast.

I pitched at 90 and wrapped in sleeping bag. Had full krausen within 3 hours and already slowing by 24. Haven't checked sg yet but guessing it's about done. Hoping the fruit esters go well with the american white ale grain bill. I'll follow up once finished and packaged. Cheers

Sounds good- please keep me posted. Despite a huge hop bill this yeast is still front and center with my beer- I am definitely curious on other applications with it. Cheers!

If you have kept it warm it should be amazing.

Brewed up a blonde on Sunday. Temp controller at 85f. At 28 hrs after pitch it looks like a snow globe and almost continuous blow from 1/2" hose. The air from the hose is very fruity smelling.

Last edited:
Checked sg last night......down to 1.010 from 1.048. It appears done. Never needed a blow off hose but still a very aggressive fermentation. I plan to crash and keg it over the next few days. Feels funny......I still have a vienna lager with full krausen fermenting away from a brew session almost 2 weeks ago. My wry ipa I just kegged took about 3 weeks to finish using dennys favorite (love that yeast). I dont think I've ever kegged a beer after a week. Cant wait to see how it taste. Hydro sample was.decent but not great.

@CWood I was thinking of brewing a white ale as well with my hornindal yeast and was planning on basing the recipe off the blue moon clone recipe here on HBT (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone.24978/)

How'd yours turn out? Did you use a recipe close to that one? I wasn't planning on adding the orange peel or coriander in mine though.
50/50 wheat/pale @154°F with 15-20 IBU bittering-only looks perfect IMO. I would recommend either bumping up the OG and/or using a good yeast nutrient since kveik likes high nutrient levels.
Hold fermention above 90°F and it'll be awesome!

I'm kegging mine today. I cold crashed it for a few extra days due to a sore back. I followed that Blue Moon recipe almost exactly, and I did add the coriander and orange per the recipe (even a little extra since I've brewed this before and always up the spice). I pitched around 90 and wrapped in a 0 degree sleeping bag in my garage (NC). I don't know exactly the temp, but it was way higher than I'm used to. I had good attenuation at 75% or so and I didn't add yeast nutrient, even with a 1.048 SG. I also pitched the whole pack. I'm okay if it's cleaner than the underpitching crowd. Maybe next time, or maybe in a hoppy beer of some sort I will try the single teaspoon of slurry approach. Hope to be drinking it by tomorrow afternoon. CW

Let's us know the results. I've been using that yeast all summer due to the fact it I'm in Atlanta with no temp control. I actually have a wheat in the keg and it came out dang good. 50% 2row and wheat with a little honey malt. Fermented at what looked like a little shy of 100 degrees. Very tropical.

So I like this beer, but not as much as I had hoped. This is the 4th time I've brewed almost the exact recipe (I increased the orange the last 2) and with 001 it is cleaner and the spices are more evident. The kveik version is more tart. Instead of sweet citrus I get almost an orange rind tartness. I don't notice any fusels or phenolics from high fermentation temps. My wife seems to like it and that's the reason I make this recipe in the first place, so it's a win. I wonder if the tartness is covered up in more hop-forward beers that tout this yeast? Maybe it was the "lower" fermentation temps (80s instead of constant 90s)? Maybe it was the increased dried sweet orange peel (haven't noticed it in past recipes using the same amount)?

I will try this yeast again, but this recipe will continue to get 001. I have temp control and my go-to quick and clean yeast is 007. The kveik may be reserved for quick beers in the summer when my fermentation fridge is full. Which is now!

CW

Back