Horchata soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simwaves1

Reaction score
I made MrFoodScientist's horchata soda today. If have to say that I'm impressed with the flavor and texture. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but definitely a fun soda in retrospect. Next time I make it, I might dial back the sugar just a bit.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407094024.800218.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Months ago I posted the surprising compatibility of horchata flavor with coke. Much better than commercial cherry coke, I put a couple drops of Capella (artificial) horchata flavor drops into a can or bottle of coke. I think I will try it right now with some Mexican coke that tastes too wimpy due to using sugar rather than hfcs (sweetener of the gods).

UPDATE: horchata drops didn't help my wimpy mexiCoke. One thing the foodScientist doesn't seem to agree with is that sodas need considerable BITE. Instead of less sugar, your horchata may need more acid kick. If it becomes too bland with less sugar, try adding defrosted lemonade concentrate. Or even strawberry (common additive to horchata). This opinion from a foodArtist.

Simwaves,
I'm glad you're enjoying the book! I'm assuming that's where you picked up the horchata recipe, I'm not sure that I've posted it anywhere else. Thanks for the compliments. I hope you enjoy the rest of the recipes as well.

Daft,
I do agree that sodas need some acid kick to them. There is something magical about tart, freshly carbed fruit juice. But I don't necessarily think all sodas need to be that way. I lump horchata into the "indulgent" category because bona fide horchata doesn't have any added acid. To each his own, though.

The book seems really good so far. I really appreciate the scientific background that is included and I like the variety of recipes. Lots of stuff I want to try out. Especially the butter beer, but I'm not sure what to do about the grain mill because I don't really want to buy one.

Oh, now I remember my favorite variety of horchata. Plain is fine, although a little ricey if you aren't used to it. Strawberry gives a pretty rose tint, but isn't a total success. Banana horchata is a grrreat compatible additive used in commercial horchata, so a few drops of banana flavor might counter any cloying taste for some gourmet soda drinkers.

h_photo.jpg

I'm not sure what to do about the grain mill because I don't really want to buy one.

Sometimes when I'm doing a small batch and I don't feel like pulling out a mill, I'll use the grains whole. I've put them in the water, let them hydrate and then crushed them with the back of a spoon. It's not as effective as crushing them with a mill beforehand, but it still sort of works.

daft,
banana horchata sounds awesome.

Latest posts

Back