Hopstravaganza Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfooti

Reaction score
I had this wild idea: brew up a large (4 ~ 8) number of one-gallon batches of very similar beer, and use a different hop variety in each batch. Get them all going at about the same time, and then throw a drinking / tasting party for friends who are interested (as I am) in tasting the differences between hop flavors.

Anyone try doing something like this? I've got some basic issues that I'm still working on hammering out.

1. Basic recipe- probably a "standard" IPA style, 1.050 OG from light DME and a little Victory steeped (no need to do this AG). US-05 fermenting, 7/7/7 schedule?
  2. Vary hops by weight or AAUs? (1 oz of each variety, or 8 AAU of each variety)?
  3. Which hops should I try?
  4. Hop schedule- 60/15/5, single-type in each? Dry hopping?

I've done this EXACT same thing, and it gives a great picture into what hops actually contribute to a beer.

The only caveat here is that bittering can be a pain in the butt here. Its easier to bitter with a low alpha hop on a one gallon batch, to give you room for error. Off by a tenth of an ounce with warrior/magnum/etc, you can ruin one of these...off by a tenth using a 4%AA hop, not quite so big a penalty.

Back