Hopstand/whirlpool hop amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
I just got a new whirlpool set up for my chiller and I'm going to do an IPA with hopstand/whirlpool hopping for the first time. I've never done it before and don't know the usual amounts for this. I was planning on 2.5 ounces Centennial, 1 ounce of Chinook and 0.5 ounces of Columbus. I'm going to hopstand at 175 deg and get all of my IBUs from the boil. Does anyone have an opinion on the amounts I'm using? To much, too little,?

Thanks

From an article written by Chris Callahan on this forum:

When we get below 180, the oils will simply come out of the hops and into the wort, a lot like making tea. Some steep for 15 minutes, some 30, some longer. You know the drill: experiment

Some home brewers will chill the beer to 180 then add a hop steep, usually of decent size, I'd say it should be at or double the amount you usually dry hop with. Others add some at flameout, let it slowly cool to 180, and then add the other half. Finally, some quickly chill to 150 or 140 then do a hop stand. Just note that temps above 170 will have some isomerization. Meaning, they will contribute some bitterness, around 10-15% of the numbers of boil additions.

From an article on bertusbrewery.com:
If you aren't using 3-4lbs/bbl of hops in a west-coast IPA, you aren't using anywhere near enough hops. That's between 9 and 13oz. Yes, that's a ton of hops, and yes it can be expensive to brew an IPA.

From what I understand you will also get IBUs from the hopstand. Hopstanding 4 ounces in 5 gallons does not sound excessive to me.

NM .. I just re-looked at the BYO article. At 175 you are pretty much below the AA isomerization level. Few IBUs at that temp.

Latest posts

Back