Hops Schedule for RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jydhokie

Reaction score
I am brewing a Rye Pale Ale this weekend using a kit. The kit came with 1oz of Centennial for Bittering, 1oz Cascade for Aroma, and 1oz Cascade for Dry Hopping. I bought 1 oz of warrior hops to give it a little extra umph. Does anyone have any ideas on a modified hops schedule for a Rye Pale Ale using these 4 hops?

If you don't have enough IBUs, you could add some of the warrior for bittering, as it's a great bittering hop. You could move some of the centennial to near the end of the boil since it's got great flavor. Otherwise, without a recipe to start with it'd be hard to give a definite idea.

I agree it'd be helpful to know the OG to recommend a bittering level... I know this is a really rough rule, and certainly would have lots of exceptions, but about the same number of IBU's as your gravity is a good point to start with for a good hoppy beer; I tend to go no lower than 10 IBU's less than your OG. IE, if your OG is 1.060, 50-60 IBU's is a good target.

My recent RyePA had an OG of 1.063, and my IBU's were 60. This was achieved with 7 oz hops, however, I did have some lower alpha's in there (East Kent Golding and Fuggle), and the hops were mostly clustered at the end of the boil to emphasize the aroma, plus 2 oz of the hops were dry (again, to emphasize aroma vs bitterness).

That being said, I think you'll be fine with the 4 oz...I'd think if you used the warrior for bittering (place at whatever time point gives you the desired IBU's), then use the others towards the last 15 min for aroma/flavor, dry hop with the ounce of cascade, and you'll have a great RyePA.

Thanks for that bit of knowledge. I didn't know that is a guideline and it will help in tweaking recipes I use.

Sheldon

sheeldon said:
Thanks for that bit of knowledge. I didn't know that is a guideline and it will help in tweaking recipes I use.

Sheldon

I wanted to clarify...my "IBU rule" is a rough guideline that I have found to fit my tastes for IPAs / APAs, etc... it's by no means a universal brewing law or anything! But if you do like fairly hoppy beers it may work for you in the appropriate beer styles....

I wanted to clarify...my "IBU rule" is a rough guideline that I have found to fit my tastes for IPAs / APAs, etc... it's by no means a universal brewing law or anything! But if you do like fairly hoppy beers it may work for you in the appropriate beer styles....

Look for a recipe here by BierMuncher. Some of them include a graph of IBU vs Gravity that's helpful. And colorful.

Thanks for the responses. I will post the expected OG when I get home tonight to see if that changes any of your suggestions.

I agree with biochemedic that basing your IBU's off your OG will help you find the balance you like. 1:1 is too bitter for my taste. I shoot for .8:1 BU:GU in my pale ales, just a matter of personal preference. Whatever you settle on keep note of that ratio and it can help guide you to crafting better beers.
Once you understand the process of brewing I think learning to achieve balance in recipe formulations is one of the best things you can do to improve your enjoyment.

Back