Hops in wort for O.G. measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
I made an IPA over the weekend and had a moderate hop content, about 3 ounces. When I did the O.G. measurement there was a bit of I'm assuming hop debris (from hop pellets) when I did the reading. The measurement was made after I transferred and sealed the primary. I usually pour a little wort into a measuring cup as I'm transferring to the primary and do a measurement after I'm done.

The measurement was pretty off (about .015), and I'm wondering if the hop debris might have contributed. I've gotten pretty consistent with my efficiency, I'm doing all grain by the way, and really don't think I was that far off.

The beer took off, and the yeast look fairly healthy. Nothing else can be inferred from that, but a sigh of relief on my part.

I believe it's only things that are in solution that affect the gravity. Hop particles can be in suspension, but not solution.

I agree that's a pretty big jump, though. Anything changed in your process?

The measurement was pretty off (about .015)

as compared to what?

the hop debris will NOT affect a hydrometer. only the density of the liquid in question will affect the hydrometer. the only effect hop debris has the displacement of the liquid not a change in its density.

Compared to the projected O.G.

Didn't know hop debris does not effect gravity. Thanks guys.

Compared to the projected O.G.

ah ok i see your concern. you punched some numbers into a brew calc and the number you got didn't match real life. thats to be expected. every batch of grain is going to be different than what ever base your calculator will use. it may be close but will never be exact.

Latest posts

Back