Hops in the mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlatline

Reaction score
Oops...

So I misread my brewsheet and threw in half an ounce of hops when I mashed in, instead of throwing it into the brew kettle when I drained the sweet wort. Realized my error about 20 minutes into a 90 minute mash. Thankfully, I had enough hops to keep to the proper hops schedule otherwise.

The beer was a smidge more bitter than I was expecting, but I nailed my gravities and it tasted fantastic going into the carboy. So I have no/few worries (at least about that part of the brewing) and am interested to try it.

Anyone else ever accidentally throw hops in with the mash? Does it impact the IBUs much?

Some brews tell you to throw in some hops in the mash. Usually high gravity IPA's.

Well I bottled the brew that I mash hopped in. The hops flavor is very, very prevalent, but it's not unpleasant. And you're right, it doesn't add much to the bitterness.

it be ok, good thing that you had more hops to finish brewing. its gona be a little more bitter than original, thats all. congratulation on inventing your own recipe!:mug:

Back