hops in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I used hop pellets when i boiled my malt, and they pretty much disintegrated into the solution. When i put the brew into my primary fermenter i used a sieve to get out as many or the hop particles as i could.

It's been fermenting for 24 hours now there are lots of green hop particulates on top of the foam in the fermenter. The beer gives off a very strong smell that that doesn't really smell like normal beer, I think its the hops.

should i try to take out more of the hop particles? or are they supposed to stay in when you brew with pellets?

Thanks

Im guessing from related posts that it will be fine, but its the smell that worries me. its almost like a chemical smell.

I had the same thing happen in my last batch, due to small batch (2g) and trying to save every last drop. Sucked up a bunch.

It started as green "scum" on the top, then settled down. When the yeast flocculated it compressed everything into a layer under it. Took a 5 days, but it's nice and clear now.

I would just wait.

theres no need to filter the hops out, it'll be fine. I filtered once, got sick of it getting clogged and never did it again. they'll all settle out if you leave it be for a few weeks and add no off-flavors

And unless you are using a carboy and can see what's going on, leave your fermenter alone! Nothing good will come of opening it.

ok great. i think reading this forum sometimes makes me more nervous about what I'm doing. thanks for the reassurance!

My first beer I just poured everything into to fermenter......

No problem, and the beer actuallly tastes great.

Don't worry about it.

The green stuff is hop particles. It's fine. I, however, believe my beer has a more refined flavor if I keep as much of that out as possible.

Back