Hops in carry on luggage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to take a lb or so of hops in their carry on luggage on a domestic flight? I would hate for it to be confused for weed.

I've traveled with hops in my checked bag but not carry on luggage. The hops I traveled with have always been in those silver foil packs so you can't actually see the hops. Think I've done it twice now, traveling from the States to Croatia and no trouble.

the best solution is to call the airline and ask what the proper way to do it, and try to get it in writing. (Most carriers have a brochure)
lately I have been putting it in couple of insulated bags and using a priority mail to send it to me. (Free Boxes at the post office)

Are you checking a bag, it might be easier to just put the hops in checked luggage.

I certainly wouldn't trust the TSA morons not to mistake them for weed. On the other hand, there was that story a month ago about the guy in Houston who got on a plane with a loaded, .40 caliber Glock.

back in the 80's I brought an iguana on in my bag and left the zipper cracked open an inch so he could breath. mid flight I was awakened to the lady next to me screaming bloody murder as a 4 ft iquana was crawling up her arm. got into a little trouble that day

I would put it into checked bagage if I was you, or just mail it if you don't have a carry-on. I don't think anyone will necessarily mix it up with weed. Most of the TSA agents I have known have alot of experience with weed, in one form or another, and aren't as likely to mix it up. However unless you're a brewer you generally aren't going to know what hops should look like, especially if they are pellet.

I'd be concerned someone might mistake it for a chemical additive you might mix to make an explosive. It'd get worked out eventually, but you might end up missing a flight while someone takes some extra precaution.

I know what hops are, and I would have to ask some questions about it honestly. Are you intending to brew something on the plane? Why would you need a pound of hops, in your carry-on? etc, etc.

I know what hops are, and I would have to ask some questions about it honestly. Are you intending to brew something on the plane? Why would you need a pound of hops, in your carry-on? etc, etc.

My reply to that would GFY, he's a paying customer and theres nothing illegal about hops so GFY TSA. Its none of their business why he wants to carry hops.

If he's well traveled like I am, he doesn't want to check baggage due to costs and to time/speed when arriving at the airport.

I forget about the USA airlines charging Xtra now for each bag, damn glad I no longer within the USA.

Don't some states have laws about agricultural products crossing state lines? I know coming from Nevada to California you have to go through a checkpoint that I'm pretty sure was agricultural.

But you could get on an airplane with produce grown out of state or even grape vines from Europe and fly into California, no airport agricultural checkpoint.

But to stay on the OP's topic, even TSA would know that pot isn't pelletized.. If it is whole leaf, it doesn't even resemble marijuana. If they had to open the Ziploc to check, they would know instantly that they were hops. I'd say, don't worry about it!

I once brought 3 "bricks" of bulk hops on a international flight from Washington DC to Ottawa. It was in my checked luggage and nobody even noticed. When I got to Canada they guys asked if I had any plant material and I told him I had 3 bricks of hops. He asked what hops where and I told him they were used to make beer and he just waived me through! The bricks totally looked like weed so I was very surprised.

17364d3f137419565.jpg

back in the 80's I brought an iguana on in my bag and left the zipper cracked open an inch so he could breath. mid flight I was awakened to the lady next to me screaming bloody murder as a 4 ft iquana was crawling up her arm. got into a little trouble that day

hahaha, that's awesome.

I did something similar in the late 90's.. I brought a leopard gecko home on the flight inside a coffee fan in my carry-on, it never got out but it sure made me nervous when they pulled me aside for additional screening and ran the swab over my backpack.

I would put it into checked bagage if I was you, or just mail it if you don't have a carry-on. I don't think anyone will necessarily mix it up with weed. Most of the TSA agents I have known have alot of experience with weed, in one form or another, and aren't as likely to mix it up. However unless you're a brewer you generally aren't going to know what hops should look like, especially if they are pellet.

I'd be concerned someone might mistake it for a chemical additive you might mix to make an explosive. It'd get worked out eventually, but you might end up missing a flight while someone takes some extra precaution.

I travel for work about two weeks out of the month. I never check a bag mainly because I don't like waiting around for my luggage. I usually need to go from the plane right to a rental car as I'm usually meeting people as soon as I land.

I stop at brew stores to pick up random items to save on shipping. For instance, I bought a bunch of colored bottle caps today at Brew & Grow in Minneapolis. I saved a bit of money by not having it shipped.

I'm a cheap skate and like to save $10 here and there on shipping.

I once brought 3 "bricks" of bulk hops on a international flight from Washington DC to Ottawa. It was in my checked luggage and nobody even noticed. When I got to Canada they guys asked if I had any plant material and I told him I had 3 bricks of hops. He asked what hops where and I told him they were used to make beer and he just waived me through! The bricks totally looked like weed so I was very surprised.

17364d3f137419565.jpg

That's reassuring. International flight screening is usually subjected to more scrutiny than domestic.

The only thing I'm concerned about is getting a TSA agent that hassles me for long enough to miss my flight.

I just went through tsa in Minneapolis. Baggage screener pulled my bag for additional screening because of the bottle caps. I had 4 packs of 144 count bags of bottle caps in my bag.

I asked him about hops and he said it would be cool.

Coming back from GABF, I was carrying several packages of whole hops that Michelob was giving out for free (Hallertau). I went to multiple sessions, so I got multiple packets, as well as what my gf picked up for me as well. I didn't have any checked baggage, and had no problems going through security.

That said, you never know.... I wouldn't worry about it myself. The thought crossed my mind, but I figured if questioned, I would open one up and let them smell it. They smell absolutely nothing alike.

Jim

Back